Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - is my stuff really that bad? - Reply to topic

2inmypants3intheair

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:53 pm   Reply with quote         

seriously, if it is you can just tell me
but nothing i have submitted has gotten any votes at all, zero, nadda
my first entry got a couple pity votes but thats it
i guess the one im most distressed about is the one i submitted for "random string"
i really thought it wuz good enough to at least get a couple votes

well anyways........ either boost my confidence or crush it..... i just need to hear the truth

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok, here are some general tips, advice, etc, on what you need to develop and put in to be able to start picking up votes.

1) An idea. There's no hard and fast rule here, as there are lots of concepts that can work, and all of us are different, so what will appeal to some will not appeal to others, and so on. However, generally if you can develop an image that conveys a message, a statement, a joke/pun or any single simple idea, you've got a good starting point.

Example: Your "Desert sign" entry (llama in car, man crossing) isn't bad. However there are some basic elements that could have been added relatively simply which would have probably improved the quality of the actual image and increased the chances of getting a vote (a shadow under the car, for instance). That brings me on to:

2) Techniques. Work on getting the basic techniques in an image right: clean cutouts, lighting, distance/perspective, proportions, contrast and colours for example - particularly if you are aiming for a photo-realistic look. Check this site's tutorials (and any others out there.. there are lots) and experiment. Also take a look at the most consistently popular images and PSCers to see what sort of effects they use (this point also applies for seeing what ideas can work too).

3) Timing. I noticed from your "Desert sign" image, that you didn't post until very late in the contest. This will affect your chances of picking up votes, especially where competition is fierce (there were 9 pages of entries for that contest and yours was on page 2 - 7 pages of entries were posted ahead of yours). Paying for Advantage will enable you to see the images in advance giving you more time to plan and prepare, but if you don't want to sign up for that or can't, then try to make sure you post by the end of the first day of the open contest at the latest.

Ok, those are the main points I can think of. Any others got any good general advice to share?

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:30 pm   Reply with quote         

thanx for the advice!

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:48 pm   Reply with quote         

personally i just dont like your screenname..... Twisted Evil

nah... just kiddin your work sucks.... Twisted Evil

J/K!!!

keep plugging along votes will come... Very Happy

SWINGING BLADES LIKE A HELICOPTER

2inmypants3intheair

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm   Reply with quote         

haha..... thanx for the encouragement......... i think

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Handtool has given you very sound and very friendly advice. Most people do not catch fire instantly on this site, take a look at the first page or so of my portfolio for proof. The important thing is to look at the work that is getting votes, learn why they are getting votes and follow Handtools advice.

And most of all, keep chopping.

irishstu

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:10 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
Handtool has given you very sound and very friendly advice. Most people do not catch fire instantly on this site, take a look at the first page or so of my portfolio for proof. The important thing is to look at the work that is getting votes, learn why they are getting votes and follow Handtools advice.

And most of all, keep chopping.

What? Just the first page or so? Wink

Only joking. In fact, look at ANY of our "first page or so"s and you'll see we all took a while to get with the program.

Keep it up, two-in yer-underpants Razz

...currently experiencing some dysfunctional internal protocol problems.

http://diystrat.blogspot.com/

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - is my stuff really that bad? - Reply to topic