Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - mental breaks - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Not sure how many of you guys code/or use xhtml or CSS but I've been busy working on a client's website. Fortunately it is something I can do from my home and not his office.
I find I do fairly well for about 45 minutes and then I just get so ansty I can't stand it. I have to divert away from the project for about 10-15 mintues, surf the web ANYTHING to get a mental break. I notice this usually happens when I get to a stumbling point in the code, either something is just not lining up or working the way I want and I have to break away.

I suppose this is normal process of working out the bugs but geez I feel inefficient and just really glad I am home and not stuck in an office. I guess in that I have it good but for you Office workers what do you guys do...???? If you have a manager that is looking over your shoulder and watching your output accounting for every minute?

kinetic_be

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:29 pm   Reply with quote         

I'd bring Photoshop to work and give my manager and co-workers an extreme makeover to lose some steam Smile

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:09 pm   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
...I suppose this is normal process of working out the bugs...

Yessssss...perfectly normal, my dear. (think James Cagney) I do the same thing whether I'm building a web site or creating art. It is why I love word/picture association which keeps my mind stimulated and frees it up momentarily thus allowing me to come back reinvigorated.

mikey

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, always take breaks. rest the eyes and and come back refreshed. Cool

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks guys, I thought It was just me. I feel better. Much better. Very Happy

Oscar

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I blow off some steam... usually by flaming someone in teh forums or making things up to get someone in trouble.

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Oscar wrote:
I blow off some steam... usually by

kinetic_be

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing
That's Photoshopped right? Very Happy

Oscar

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:25 pm   Reply with quote         

... letting my dog hump a duck? Laughing

annajon

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:08 am   Reply with quote         

Look at the duck enjoying himself/herself..... Shocked

You are right Jen, to take a break every now and then. Especially when you start getting a problem with the coding sequences. Because after a rest and a fresh nose outside ... you will find you can spot the problem much easier.

Think of it as having to drive a car on and endless bizzy road. In my country they recommend that you drive for two hours and then rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Same thing goes for working on computers. You need to unwind from the stress.

splodge

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:22 am   Reply with quote         

drive a car in a strait line in your country Anna and you will be in the north sea or Germany Laughing

personally i build web sites and code flash to break the tedium

Hallcross Toots
ReinMan

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:24 am   Reply with quote         

I, like yourself, spend WAY TOO MUCH time behind a monitor (actually TWO monitors, unless I got my powerbookPRO going too... then it's THREE).

Designing websites/chopping/making fun of SPlodge all chews on a part of the brain that is very special: this part of the brain LOVES TO KEEP DOING THE WORK/PLAY and yet at the same time this part of the brain will SELF-DESTRUCT if not rested from time to time.

Going for a walkies, even just around the block, is good (unless you live in Montreal in which case you better plan on scaling mountains of snow banks! Razz). Or just looking out a window and focusing your eyes on something in the distance for a few minutes can do a world of good for your eye muscles. Also, getting into some normal "daytime" clothes and putting away the large bag of "EASTER SPECIAL" M&M's Peanuts is also HIGHLY recommended.

If you keep doing what you love ALL the time, you'll go blind! (I'm sure your mother told you this Wink)

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:24 pm   Reply with quote         

okay I gotta say the client called today.... he wants to see the design. WHERE IS THE ANTACID?

He hired me Friday afternoon. He has yet to send the content over but wants a design NOW LOLOLOLLLLLLLLL

I told him it takes more than a weekend to pull one of these sites together. I will be bald by Friday. Laughing

ReinMan

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:07 pm   Reply with quote         

USE THE M&M's, LUKE! USE THE M&M's! ! !

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:13 pm   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
okay I gotta say the client called today.... he wants to see the design. WHERE IS THE ANTACID?

He hired me Friday afternoon. He has yet to send the content over but wants a design NOW LOLOLOLLLLLLLLL

I told him it takes more than a weekend to pull one of these sites together. I will be bald by Friday. Laughing

Making a decent design is like baking a cake.
You need ALL the ingredients..........first. Very Happy

Hang in there, Jen. Welcome to the freelance crazies. Wink
(and I hope you have contracts with your clients).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - mental breaks - Reply to topic