Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Permissions, Licenses, and Questions - Reply to topic

Tawiskaro

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:21 pm   Reply with quote         

I have been looking at Flickr.com for source images. I found two that nicely fit ideas I have for future contests. I contacted both photographers for permission to use. One responded in the affirmative. I'm still waiting on the other. The one that did respond wants me to license my derivative image via Creative Commons to reflect the license he offers on his original. I will provide a link to his image (with credit, of course), and a link to my license. Naturally, I have questions about how this would work in PSC.

1) Can I legitimately license a modified source image here at PSC as a derivative work without getting permission from the creator of the contest source image?

2) If permission of the source image creator is needed (or if her image needs a license to derive from) how can this be arranged when we don't know who provided the source image until the contest begins?

3) Does PSC management have an issue with the Creative Commons licensing scheme?

4) Is anyone else here familiar with this process?

Flickr.com contains an amazing collection of photographs. Those I have looked at have links to licenses that specify terms of use. Here is a typical license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/deed.en If PSC members are able to comply with the various license terms, it looks like a fantastic source for chopping material. I'd sure like to use a couple of them, anyway.

--twk

dewdew

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:47 pm   Reply with quote         

SEE dang it, THERE ALL YA"LL GO ASKING PERMISSION AGAIN............dang aint ya ever going to learn.......YOU ASK FOR FORGIVNESS........durn buncha crazies Laughing Don't you know playin stupid works 95% of the time......what ever happened too.....ohhhh ugh....sorry is this yours.......killer freaking job by the way......HI im BOB Hug .....UGH say i would like to see more Bow ......shit who know's Question Greedy .......it really inspires me Very Happy .........say how bout a beer shakng2 .......THEN BASH HIS BRAINS IN. Twisted Evil .........THERE Doh! ......see how easy that was.....GGGGGGEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSS Exclamation

oooh sorry TAW........i was just coming off another thread and had not quiet calmed down yet............ughhhh YOU WERE SAYING......I SEE scratch ........YES bounce .........ugh i would .....ughhh......just get another. Mr. Green

Eepi

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:41 pm   Reply with quote         

1. Download Image.

2. cleanUp (remove watermarks and ©blaablaas)

3. STFUAC Laughing

mikey

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:46 pm   Reply with quote         

It's not like we're selling the frickin thing or something! most of the time you cant even recognize the external source by the time you photoshop the dickens out of it! Laughing you could always put up a link to the src you use too"

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Eepi wrote:
1. Download Image.

2. cleanUp (remove watermarks and ©blaablaas)

3. STFUAC Laughing

To each his own.

Tawiskaro

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:55 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey wrote:
It's not like we're selling the frickin thing or something! most of the time you cant even recognize the external source by the time you photoshop the dickens out of it! Laughing you could always put up a link to the src you use too"

If I modify a chop element so much that becomes unrecognizable, I doubt if I would cite a source unless asked, so I understand what you're saying. But some people take re-use of their work seriously. The one image I plan to use is obviously not mine and I don't intend to modify it significantly for my chop. It's no skin off my nose to get permission and cite the source, so I'll do that. If for no other reason, I don't want to be the guy that brings PSC down as a result of a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Look, I am not trying to fire up the copyright ethics argument again. I just want to know if it's okay to use the license procedure here.

Maybe a mod could weigh in here.

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Creative Commons License Agreement wrote:

You are free:

* to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
* to Remix — to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

*Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
*Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
*Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
*For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.
*Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
*Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.

A new version of this license is available. You should use it for new works, and you may want to relicense existing works under it. No works are automatically put under the new license, however.

I'm by no means an expert on the legal issues involved here, but here's my understanding of it (and I could be way off)...

Tawiskaro wrote:
1) Can I legitimately license a modified source image here at PSC as a derivative work without getting permission from the creator of the contest source image?

From what's written above it sounds like you can to me.

Tawiskaro wrote:
2) If permission of the source image creator is needed (or if her image needs a license to derive from) how can this be arranged when we don't know who provided the source image until the contest begins?

I don't think you need permission unless you want to do something beyond what's in the licensing agreement, and, for all intents and purposes here at PSC, you probably don't need their permission as long as you give them credit.

Tawiskaro wrote:
3) Does PSC management have an issue with the Creative Commons licensing scheme?

Procyon would have to answer that one.

Tawiskaro wrote:
4) Is anyone else here familiar with this process?

I'm not.

Ok. Like I said, I'm no expert. Procyon may have other issues with this or other members here may know something that I haven't thought of.

Tawiskaro

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks. Can you pass the issue on to Procyon?

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
Thanks. Can you pass the issue on to Procyon?

Sure. I'll point it out to him.
Smile

Procyon
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:37 am   Reply with quote         

Can you explain more about the Creative Commons licensing scheme? Do you mean for the use of PSC?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:16 am   Reply with quote         

Download it, chop it, fuck it and eat it.

blue_lurker

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:40 am   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
Download it, chop it, fuck it and eat it.

you forgot drink it mate

Tawiskaro

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:40 pm   Reply with quote         

Procyon wrote:
Can you explain more about the Creative Commons licensing scheme? Do you mean for the use of PSC?

Check your messages.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Permissions, Licenses, and Questions - Reply to topic