Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - A transcript from chat - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ScionShade

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:31 pm   Reply with quote         

A transcript from regular chat - Friday afternoon.

ScionShade @ 5:33 pm
So , regular chat. hmmmmmmmm.
ScionShade @ 5:34 pm
here we are...a whole week with anew owner and we've all survived..poor guy.
I think he's been pm'ed to death Smile
ScionShade @ 5:34 pm
So PM's, regular chat, site sold,where to begin?
ScionShade @ 5:36 pm
Ok--site sold...Seems to me jmh did the best for us he could. He found us a guy who's an investor as far as i can tell. Someone who can keep PSC going for the long haul.
Awesome...The long haul..that's all I wanna see..PSC survive.
ScionShade @ 5:37 pm
Now I know I am not alone in wanting to see PSc around for a long long time...
in fact an incredible number of users have gotten excited about
where PSC can go and what can be done.
ScionShade @ 5:38 pm
no one passed any of those ideas before the whole community did they? sorry..no..
and there's the rub....
ScionShade @ 5:39 pm
I'm thinking about what i can do and other users can do to insure this place's future and
look after our new owner in the bargain.
ScionShade @ 5:40 pm
A limited number of old users I've spoken with came back to check out what was happening.
ScionShade @ 5:41 pm
they found this dead chat, with a character limit, and no images, and forums
...heh...the forums.
ScionShade @ 5:43 pm
Three of the people I've spoken with checked in right away , a little hopeful....
that didn't go over well.
ScionShade @ 5:43 pm
If users here are concerned about the future of this site they need to make the effort to stop
in this chat and say hi, sending the new owner pm after pm of your great ideas is not nearly as helpful as that.
ScionShade @ 5:44 pm
I have no idea why all suggestions for this site are being done without
sharing with the rest of us...it's never been done that way before.
ScionShade @ 5:46 pm
I've asked over twenty users why they think it is happening that way..
I got one answer..."any forum thread with ideas put forward degrades into a game of insults".
I pretty mush agree-that is true.
ScionShade @ 5:48 pm
There are a tremendous number of ideas that are floating around that sound really cool.
it's gonna take some time for all of them to get looked at.
ScionShade @ 5:49 pm
Getting this chat going is something we can do.
Please stop in to say hi when someone stops in for the first time and says hello.
Six hours for a response is in no way cool.
ScionShade @ 5:50 pm
However you can do it Procyon, we need images in this chat and that text character limit gone. I am saying that on behalf of every single user I know.

ScionShade @ 5:52 pm
Speaking for myself-the google ads in here were never obtrusive and should be put back.They were actually useful since they were relative to the conversations in progress.
They were even the cause for entertainment when unexpected stuff showed up

ScionShade @ 5:56 pm
I am now going to post a link to a browser add on that I and other users have used for years.
ScionShade @ 5:58 pm
It has driven a significant number of users to this site thanks to the recommendation
that just a small number of us users have given PSC.
ScionShade @ 5:58 pm
It is a small add-on that I promise without reservation that you will be very happy that you tried out.
ScionShade @ 5:59 pm
If you do try it..please give PSc your recommendation like we have done, and bring us some more new users.
www.stumbleupon.com

Sassy

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:53 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree Sci adding Pictures and unlimited chars and a way to tell the diffrence between the 2 chat windows would rev that bad boy back up again!

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:03 pm   Reply with quote         

you have to make sure that Proc understands that we used to have images and unlimited characters in chat until relatively recently, though, otherwise he might think we're just asking for a feature that has always been a pay-for option. Personally, I think it'd be better if we did away with the advantage chat and just made one, main chat with all the features again. What's the point of having a dead chat for the main one? The only reason everyone chatted there is because of the more interesting people to talk to. Now all those attractions have Advantage, so no one else goes to normal chat anymore because nothing ever happens there. So yeah...uh. Spiel over...

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:06 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:

I think he's been pm'ed to death Smile

LOL yes I did get PM-ed to death...I haven't replied to a bunch. I'll probably work on that later tonight.

ScionShade wrote:

However you can do it Procyon, we need images in this chat and that text character limit gone. I am saying that on behalf of every single user I know.

I can increase the character limit, but I don't think I will be adding images to the chat. Jmh explained to me why he removed images and he had a valid reason. I don't remember what exactly the reason was - I have it in my Outlook somewhere. It is also sad to see that some of you don't know the definition of PG-13, which scares me to be honest.

ScionShade wrote:

I've asked over twenty users why they think it is happening that way..
I got one answer..."any forum thread with ideas put forward degrades into a game of insults".
I pretty mush agree-that is true.

This is something I noticed. Feel free to PM me or any other mod your ideas.

ScionShade wrote:

I have no idea why all suggestions for this site are being done without
sharing with the rest of us...it's never been done that way before.

Any changes I will make will be discussed with the mods. If more input is required we will discuss this in the public forum. For some decision it isn't necessary to ask the community. It would be too time consuming and it is hard to satisfy everybody.

ScionShade wrote:

Speaking for myself-the google ads in here were never obtrusive and should be put back.They were actually useful since they were relative to the conversations in progress.
They were even the cause for entertainment when unexpected stuff showed up

I don't know, but I had the impression that people didn't want any type of ads. I remember reading that people were saying that they are paying to be an advantage member and that they shouldn't be seeing ads. I think they have a valid point. The site however will not be 100% ad free as server bills need to be paid. I believe a certain fair balance should be maintained.

I hope all this doesn't sound too harsh - remember I'm a business person and also had an extremely busy week!

Proc

ScionShade

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:09 pm   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
Personally, I think it'd be better if we did away with the advantage chat and just made one, main chat with all the features again.

the reason why advantghat is there wouldn't change.
main chat being slow has NOTHING to do with advanchat--it is lack of images , and characters.
Go back to one chat and ya bring back all the problems of why they were split to begin with.

ScionShade

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Procyon said:"I can increase the character limit, but I don't think I will be adding images to the chat. Jmh explained to me why he removed images and he had a valid reason. I don't remember what exactly the reason was - I have it in my Outlook somewhere. It is also sad to see that some of you don't know the definition of PG-13, which scares me to be honest. '

I am being honest when i say the loss of images is a big issue with a huge number of users and past users considering returning.
This site was never pg-13. Advantchat was supposed to take that issue away from the publicly seen area. IMHO placing pg-13 on advantage users in chat area will cost the site it's best choppers.
There is a great dislike for censorship among the average artistic types. In the past when this issue came up it was pretty popular to at least keep the images in contests pg-13...there are some vocal detractors to this. Expect pushing the line of good good taste-nudity-vulgarity and gore in posted images will be a subject you will face any time now. It is a problem that has been being ignored recently.I am highly pro-censorship on contest entries--is why i am unpopular to a great degree.

Procyon said"This is something I noticed. Feel free to PM me or any other mod your ideas.'

IMHO this new twist of so many bypassing the mods is causing friction. The mods have worked many hours and free for a very long time.They are good people that have the interest of this sites future at heart.

Procyon said:"For some decision it isn't necessary to ask the community'

there was a time when users shared ideas and bounced them around in forums....IMHO THAT is clearly what directed psc to the
place it is now and where a great deal of PSC's features came from.
Replacing the communities input with a small handful of vocal PM'ers .......I don't even know what to say.

Procyon
Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't worry Sci. I won't implement any drastic changes without asking anybody here!

Proc

ScionShade

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:26 pm   Reply with quote         

HAHAH! and LOL

NO! That is not what I am saying at all..I am saying that forums have been a fount of ideas and some pretty cool ones too!

HAHAH!

I am saying community input has always been a cool thing here.
My bad if that came out the opposite of what I meant. Smile

Sassy

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:51 pm   Reply with quote         

I think what everyone is afraid of is that we will lose what we view as the greatest Chop site on the Web and we don't want to lose it by having it become so commercial that PSC just becomes another one of many sites out there Emmanuel.

When Jeremy had it it was a hobby and we are all well aware you bought this to make a profit We all understand that, and most are just concerned as to how commercial we will become and our hope is that you will get as addicted to PSC as we are and be a part of our community not just as an owner..Any of these guys will help you learn to chop if you want to learn.. Smile

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Sassy wrote:
I think what everyone is afraid of is that we will lose what we view as the greatest Chop site on the Web and we don't want to lose it by having it become so commercial that PSC just becomes another one of many sites out there Emmanuel.

When Jeremy had it it was a hobby and we are all well aware you bought this to make a profit We all understand that, and most are just concerned as to how commercial we will become and our hope is that you will get as addicted to PSC as we are and be a part of our community not just as an owner..Any of these guys will help you learn to chop if you want to learn.. Smile

I totally understand. As I said before, I'll use a stakeholder approach to problem solving. Hope this helps...
Just so you know I was contacted by a competitor to sell him PSC...did I do that? Of course not. (No need to quote or talk about this)
Proc

Sassy

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Procyon wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I totally understand. As I said before, I'll use a stakeholder approach to problem solving. Hope this helps...

Proc

THat Works for me Very Happy Thank You

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:37 am   Reply with quote         

I like the ads Surprised

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:31 am   Reply with quote         

well since this thread seems to apply to my thoughts in a way:

I am an older user, but I have been inactive for the last couple years.
Yesterday I decided to make a pic for a contest..I found the site totally inaccessible for a non paying member. I couldnt figure out how to enter a current contest (one that was starting that day), so I did not bother.

I am not urging for change, as I understand the premise of advantage these days. I am just pointing out that from my perspective it seems uninviting.

just my 2¢

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:35 am   Reply with quote         

advantage is a massive part of this site, and it works IMO, it helps the site be what it is, but I agree and understand for a new user or an oldbee returning, they would get lost, and things like the uploading of entry link while being large, for some reason gets missed alot, maybe its the colours and plays with the mind.

Some changes are needed, and they are probably minor one, but I love this site, I remember when I joined, I felt lost at first, and took me a long time to get to grips with the workings of it. While a simple premise, PSc is a very complex beast.

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:54 am   Reply with quote         

Ahh I see what contest to enter now. Laughing

I was never trieng to insinuate that advantage was not working, as i paid for advantage for a couple years. For what its worth, I just thought the site seemed cold and inaccesable compared to what it was. (I also found out the chat moved, which probably has something to do with my view as well.)

it was probably a good idea to move the chat into a private area lol.

-dood

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - A transcript from chat - Reply to topic