Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - DUMP THE QUEUE - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

is this a good Idea?

Yes lets dump the queue

80%

80%

[ 17 ]

No I like lame source pics

19%

19%

[ 4 ]

Total Votes: 21

Designed2522

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok so this kind of goes along with Reys post about the statue issue in the source queue. and I know that there has been other postings in regards to the crappy entries to chose from... lately myself, I have not been able to find a source that I feel worthy of actually creating something with... which in turn has total turned me away from posting anything. DOes anyone else feel this way?????

My solution: DUMP THE FLIPPIN QUEUE AND START FRESH... I too have submitted sources which take about two years to surface and that is just tooooooo long!!!! The last two that I submitted and finally came out was the "garden angel" (which of course Rey wins again!!! Mad ) which was taken about two summers ago and "Boston Bones" which was taken about two years ago as well.... the whole point of this thread it to vent.... Im sick of looking at 30 images and not being able to find one that interests me!!!! I know there must be others that feel the same.... lets tear the place down until this is corrected!!! Twisted Evil

YerPalAl

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:51 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, I'm not generally much of a complainer, but recently I have taken to voting FOR source photos that have already appeared numerous times in hopes they will finally get selected and DISAPPEAR from the damned que. This is not a joke, folks, I am serious about this.

Of course, some source images that have made it into contests have, like evil zombies, actually risen from the dead to be voted on again so my cunning plan isn't even a guaranty of success, but it was certainly born of desperation.

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:55 pm   Reply with quote         

The problem is not the queue, the problem is that we never had quality control built into the system from day 1.
Also, there are a good number of images in that queue that haven't even come up for voting before, just because of random chance.

My proposal (and this has been my proposal for multiple years) is the following rules be used to filter the images:

Images that place 4th or worse twice are removed.
Images that place 2nd in voting can't be removed from the pool.

If you get too much more strict than that, the source pool will diminish too fast.

If you don't think that's strict enough, just think about how many images in there would be gone by now.

I wouldn't be against removing some of the most frequently rejected ones manually, but there are far too many in there that have either never seen voting or only been voted on once to warrant simply dumping the entire queue because you see a few rejected ones popping up often. Most important in this issue is that we need the automated quality control.
SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:03 pm   Reply with quote         

those ugly float balls were up again just a few days ago..

since I have been here I think I have seen them go from an anon contest and been listed in the vote about 5 good times since..

i submitted 24 since I have been here.. good ones i think are chop worthy Smile

1 is in queue for chopping right now.. i have seen 2 other up for voting, one of the others got like 1 less vote than the one that won. (i was watching it Laughing )

its been a while since i seen one even up for voting now

go for it..lol

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:29 pm   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:
The problem is not the queue, the problem is that we never had quality control built into the system from day 1.
Also, there are a good number of images in that queue that haven't even come up for voting before, just because of random chance.

My proposal (and this has been my proposal for multiple years) is the following rules be used to filter the images:

If you get too much more strict than that, the source pool will diminish too fast.

If you don't think that's strict enough, just think about how many images in there would be gone by now.

I wouldn't be against removing some of the most frequently rejected ones manually, but there are far too many in there that have either never seen voting or only been voted on once to warrant simply dumping the entire queue because you see a few rejected ones popping up often. Most important in this issue is that we need the automated quality control.

BIll, I agree with this, how do we make it happen!!! Shocked

ReinMan

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:15 pm   Reply with quote         

WE NEED THE PICK OF DESTINY!!!

Alex

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:15 pm   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:

WHAT ABOUT THE 3RD PLACE!!!!???
Shitty idea.

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:23 am   Reply with quote         

Alex wrote:
billtvshow wrote:

WHAT ABOUT THE 3RD PLACE!!!!???
Shitty idea.

Images that place 4th twice or more.

Meaning, after going up for voting two times and never ranking higher than 4th, the image is removed.

If an image places second, it is kept in the queue, and cannot be removed systematically unless voted through to be chopped.

Also, watch it with the language. That was completely unnecessary.

seamusoisin

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:56 am   Reply with quote         

What we need is source whoring! Take a crappy photo, once it's in the queue, pm everyone or start a new thread extolling the virtues of that pic, but sutlely so no one knows it's your pic. "Nice picture in the queue, I think it was taken with a Fisher Price DSLR 4.5 telephoto" "I'm looking for a new camera, does anyone have one of these?"

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:25 am   Reply with quote         

why not use some of the photos from the photowalks. There are tons of great pictures in there.

Wiz

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 am   Reply with quote         

Agree! Dump the Damn queue, if I see another bleedin' 'Chimp be nibblin' source image I'll go crazy. One reason I haven't been putting up many entries recently is because of what Designed 2522 raised with this post.

Trouble is NOTHING is ever done about any complaints we make, except a few mods saying "Oooh, that's a good idea, leave it with us and we'll try and do something about it!" Which of course never happens.

My passive resistance is my answer to crap source images...
IF I DON'T LIKE THE SOURCE IMAGE I DON'T CHOP IT!

Vote with your feet Ladies & Gentlemen, and try out the Power of One... it has worked in a few un-democratic societies around the World, and it could, maybe, happen here... Nah! Nah! Nah! Wishful thinking Wiz, you silly old fool!!!!! Rolling Eyes

Evil or Very Mad Wiz

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:18 am   Reply with quote         

Im sorry but is that not part of the challenge to make some thing from some thing else...shit you guys just want it all to bloody easy...back in my day...(Insert wavy wayback machine lines here)...and that's why we have ribbed condoms...now get of ma lawn. Wink

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Despite the poll's biased wording, it's pretty clear that something needs to be done. I have proposed an extensive course of action that includes wiping out a TON of the oldest images in the voting queue and implementing the automated controls. I am also going through and taking care of every image in the other queue, so regardless of how fast we are able to take action on this from a coding standpoint, you should see a lot of new sources in the daily voting in the meantime (there are 3 today).
ReinMan

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm   Reply with quote         

dbbowling wrote:
why not use some of the photos from the photowalks. There are tons of great pictures in there.

Quantity is not the issue, Db. We have LOTS of images. Too many, in my opinion.

It is an ORGANIZATIONAL challenge we have and an AUTOMATED SYSTEM that we are trying to tame.

Though I do agree with you, the photowalks do generate some great shots! Smile

Oh - and Wiz? Your poll is useless as a tool to get opinions about this, unless you add the option "I'm okay with working with whatever comes up in the queue".

Designed2522

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:28 pm   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:
Despite the poll's biased wording, it's pretty clear that something needs to be done. I have proposed an extensive course of action that includes wiping out a TON of the oldest images in the voting queue and implementing the automated controls. I am also going through and taking care of every image in the other queue, so regardless of how fast we are able to take action on this from a coding standpoint, you should see a lot of new sources in the daily voting in the meantime (there are 3 today).

Bill thank you, I just voted on the daily source picture and I can already tell that there is improvement.... 1st it was hard form me to dicide as there was more then one good one, instead of everyone picking the least of the worst!!! Shocked I know i am not always the best for stating an idea without being rude about it... quite frankly this thread was not suppose to be rude at all... it was suppose to be humorous! however I did feel as though something needed to be done. In the time that I have been in on this site I have seen a drastic drop in the amount of people that post on a daily basis and I feel as though these may be one of the biggst reasons.

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW I LOVE THIS SITE (although I complain often) AND I LOVE THE ARTIST AND MODS WITHIN!!!! Hug

thanks again for your help with this matter Bill!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - DUMP THE QUEUE - Reply to topic