Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Speaking out.... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

MamaBallistic

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:03 pm   Reply with quote         

....about yesterdays events on Eves entry & comments given......

I feel really bad for Mark with this, I have clearly seen how much the comments have affected him in the past 24 hours if it is & would like to make it clear that....

.... IT'S A SIMPLE CASE OF CROSSED WIRES!!!

He's not a sore loser as people keep suggesting, yes he can be competitive but hey we all are to an extent even though we're having fun it's still nice to win, right?

Mark made his comments to point out the problem that quite a few people have mentioned about the way the prize comps are regulated. Personally I agree with him, if there's a prize at stake then the comp should be completely ANON!

He WAS NOT digging at Eve or her entry, you all know him around here & know that when he gives criticism it's only ever of the constructive kind - I know there's a hell of a lot of people that he's helped out around here with their entries because I've watched him doing it. I also know that he helps a lot of people out by giving them someone to talk to & share their problems with & he has no problem with this HOWEVER..... should this not earn him a little more respect than what he appears to be getting at the moment?

I'm quickly finding some of the personalities around here quite ugly, people will NOT speak up & say what they actually mean so here's the thing.....

.... Being raised to say what I want & give my opinion about things if I disagree with them then ok..........

.......I think the prize comps are run in the completely wrong way, no-one should have access to the information or if they do then they shouldn't be allowed to vote & anyone who wants to now hit back at me can feel free to because I'm allowed an opinion & that is it.
I feel really bad about doing this because I've met some lovely people around here too, have respect for the work each & every person puts into their entries & hate the fact that I'm now having to speak out even thought I'm a newbie. However I also feel that I must speak out for Mark too, not in a biased way, but in that people don't seem to be accepting the fact that what he said was misinterpreted in text & needs more explanation.

Is this what we want the site to come to? Do we want people voting in weird ways because they disagree with someones opinions or do we want them to vote strictly on the work that has gone into the entries?

Oh & I should probably add that as I type this Mark is NOT with me, just incase any of you thought he was influencing me in any way (not that he's THAT sort of person anyway)

Anyway to conclude....
...There's more important things in life, much more important than a silly arguament over crossed wires so I shall leave it here.

I wish you all well & hope that this can blow over without being mentioned anymore - you know we're gonna look back on this at some point & have a laugh about it, it's what life's about essentially!!

MH x

TheShaman

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:27 pm   Reply with quote         

My idea is simple, and I've been saying it for quite some time.

Get rid of ALL THE PRIZES.

Take this site back to its roots. Helping and Learning.

Screw the $50.
Give prizes only for the H2H like it always has been.
These silly prizes are eating people alive like we're trying to win millions. Its stupid.

I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. I've talked to Eve directly, she says she didn't do anything wrong.
Until proven otherwise, I will believe her. And she's never done anything to make me think otherwise.
Her entry deserved to win as much as anyone's.

I've also talked with Marco. I know this has nothing to do with Eve OR her winning a $50 contest. Also, he's not trying to be a sore looser. Just picked a really bad time to speak up about contests and their flaws.

I do think this should have waited till you weren't entered in a contest brother. Then no one could say you're doing it because you came in 2nd. I know, this isn't the case, but you gotta know that others may and have thought this...

one thing I will agree with though is... people should not be looking at names for what ever reason and either blindly voting for or against them because of who they are. It's bull, and you people should know this. Just because an artist is a jerk, or doesn't vote for every entry of yours, shouldn't mean that their art gets overlooked. View the art presented, not the artist behind the work.

This isn't Hot or Not or a damn popularity contest. This is photoshop contest. As much as it pains me to say it again and
I'm starting to sound like a broken record...
ART IS SUBJECTIVE!!!
Just because I like something doesn't mean you will, and vice freakin versa. GET OVER IT! I really gotta make that into a sign, so I don't have to type it out every other freakin day!!!

my 2¢

MamaBallistic

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for that Sean, I'll pass that onto Mark when I see him.

If that's the way to make this site friendly then I say get rid of the prize comps too!!

He did tell me already that it was a silly time for him to mention it & to do so on her entry comments however I know Mark & know that him doing this wasn't meant to make Eve feel like she's done anything wrong or that she was being accused of doing so.

Thanks again, I'm hoping Mark doesn't have a moan at me about taking this into my hands Laughing

MamaBallistic

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Oooops double post, stupid wifi rubbish servers!!

TheShaman

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:42 pm   Reply with quote         

MamaHet wrote:
I'm hoping Mark doesn't have a moan at me about taking this into my hands

I think Mark should be moaning for taking that into... Shocked Wait!! What were we talking about?

MamaBallistic

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:51 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
MamaHet wrote:

I think Mark should be moaning for taking that into... Shocked Wait!! What were we talking about?

You're so rude Sean!!! I expected that comment to come from Al not you!! Laughing

TheShaman

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Tommeken

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:03 pm   Reply with quote         

damn MH your one hell of a newbie Shocked Twisted Evil Laughing

you both shouldn't worry bout this..like you said there more important things in life...
I'd never tought bout the fact that mods can see who's the author in the anon...
not that it even matters for me 'cause i don't think i've got a vote from a mod before Confused
i agree what you said that Mark deserve's a little more respect...i think he is one of the most talented choppers around here and the advice he gave before was very usefull...
so tell Mark to keep his head up high and don't worry bout this kinda of sh*t
its a known fact that people (mods or not mods) vote for friends and don't vote for the ones they don't like ...
this doesn't mean that eve's chop didn't deserve to win...cause it did...
but i totaly agree with Mark and TheShaman 'bout the voting stuff...

greetings Tom

i hope this makes any sence 'cause my english is not that very good Wink

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
MamaHet
Yeah Mark.... Get Real!!! I mean, so what if it looks slightly odd that a mod has won BOTH of the latest anons, so what if it was also done with some really great entries in those comps too & so what if another mod ONLY voted on the one entry *Very Happy

I noticed you were right there in on it too. Rolling Eyes
What do you think "looked slightly odd"? How can one person make any kind of difference of the outcome in any given competition?

Some ppl here fought long and hard to get their Speed Chops and Proc acquiesced. PSC states that it gives out prizes. I have no problem with a few $50 prize contests. IMO, it brings out better chops...mostly.

Quote:
MamaHet
Maybe people need to speak up about it then if this is the feeling, surely the only way anything like that would ever come into effect is if enough people speak out about it. I completely agree though, anon should mean anon to everyone who enters/votes.

Seems to me that only you and Marco are having "this feeling."

Did Marco get some PMs from ppl telling him to STFUAC?? awwwwww

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:20 pm   Reply with quote         

"Imagine there's no Heaven...."

Tommeken

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:33 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
"Imagine there's no Heaven...."

that would be awsome!!
all the fun is down there not upstairs Twisted Evil Laughing

YerPalAl

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:39 pm   Reply with quote         

MamaHet wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
MamaHet wrote:

You're so rude Sean!!! I expected that comment to come from Al not you!! Laughing

MEEEeeeeee?!?!?!?! Shocked Laughing Laughing

Frankly, I agree with Sean. Bad timing on Mark's part and I really don't think it was an anti-eve or sore loser issue at all. Eve has always been perfectly nice in her dealings with me and I have no bad words to say about her, but I believe Mark is guilty only of saying something at the wrong time.

Can't we all just get along?

annajon

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Oh dear.....

What have you done to Marco? Is all this commotion meaning that he can not enter competitions anymore? I hope not.

Please, I think we should take into concideration that Marco has not been around here on PSC for quite a while, and with reason. So.... cut the man some slack.

please, we are a community of creative people. Don't cut off that abillity for some of us, just because we don't like what they "say" - or because we can't take a punch every now and then.

Maybe we should all retreate to our respective corners for a while and then step back into the ring we like to call PhotoshopContest dot com.

And Marco knows there are no conspirecies around every corner.

glennhanna

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:24 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm sure a lot of people are quick to discover if you use all 25 votes during a contest, then you've typically made little impact on the outcome of the contest. It's just cool to see all the people that voted for your entry during normal contests.
In the case of a prize contest, I want my vote to actually count, make an impact. So instead of giving out five to twenty votes in a prized contest, I give out only one to my favorite entry. Now my favorite entry is 1 up on every other entry in the contest. It's just a serious way of looking at the contest and choosing a winner that I feel deserves a prize. I'm pretty sure other people use a similar voting strategy on prize contests.

annajon

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:44 pm   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
I'm sure a lot of people are quick to discover if you use all 25 votes during a contest, then you've typically made little impact on the outcome of the contest. It's just cool to see all the people that voted for your entry during normal contests.
In the case of a prize contest, I want my vote to actually count, make an impact. So instead of giving out five to twenty votes in a prized contest, I give out only one to my favorite entry. Now my favorite entry is 1 up on every other entry in the contest. It's just a serious way of looking at the contest and choosing a winner that I feel deserves a prize. I'm pretty sure other people use a similar voting strategy on prize contests.

ditto

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Speaking out.... - Reply to topic