Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Comment Etiquette - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:37 am   Reply with quote         

thx rey, nice to hear this from you, but i am stopped for the moment painting, maybe one day who nows?

ReyRey

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:41 am   Reply with quote         

I don't want to hijack this thread so I will stop here. Blue, pick up a book on abstract painting and read it. Maybe that will shed some light. Very Happy

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:41 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Ok being honest here, about that painting. I dont understand what is artistic about it...to me it is just splatters on a canvas there is no control or object or even a justification of use of color. Im not having a go here Ron Im just trying to understand how you guys can say to some one that there interpretation/expression is wrong when it is artistic. I don't understand how some say that the reflections are wrong or shadows are wrong when the image is there interpretation.
thats why this is abstract it has no meaning just can give you a feeling or not, good be by the colours or a composition , looks easer than it is to make mate, i heart that story always, " My child of six can make this too " well i tell you show me one , i never seen one

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:47 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
I don't want to hijack this thread so I will stop here. Blue, pick up a book on abstract painting and read it. Maybe that will shed some light. Very Happy

Mate I have read many books on abstract art and still don't understand what the painter was trying o create. We all have an idea and an image in our minds when we create some form of art.

Yet if we don't have a concept of what the artist was trying to conceive then how can we make, form an opinion other than like or dislike.

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:55 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:02 am   Reply with quote         

Explanations are fine but it still comes down to what you see with in or with out the painting. The concept of art is to convey an expression or feeling from the art work to the viewer, if the viewer has no concept of the artists inception then how is he to know what to feel or what the artist expects the viewer to feel

Man my head hurts now Laughing

TheShaman

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:03 am   Reply with quote         

This should have way more votes, This should be the winner, best gif ever! are ones I cannot stand to see on my entry, nor on others. Because thats a personal opinion. Are you trying to heard the sheep to also vote for it? Some I think are turned off by outlandish over the top OMFG this is great comments. Esp when there are flaws or things that aren't perfect. Those should be reserved for Outstanding, everything is perfect entries.

Lets also remember Art is subjective.

Take the Pocket watch contest for example. Some people loved the abstract one (a lot). To me, it did nothing for me. Now does that make it bad? No, it just means its not my taste.

Take my entry for example, some people saw, and liked/loved all the subtle details Rey, Sjitske, Brad, Granulated, Anfa, & Claf. Others not so much, or they didn't think it was all that much work. Or they didn't vote cause it was me, or didn't bother to actually view the entry large. What ever. Its subjective. It got 40 votes, which is perfectly acceptable for me. If you didn't like it cause there was a problem with it, you should have said something. Sjitske & Tadams, were the only two to voice an opinion. AND that my friends is not acceptable. I guess I'm with arc Shocked (I can't believe I just said that), we need a button or something to tell the viewers that they indeed can voice an opinion or make suggestions. Cause we all know that there are a lot of fragile egos mucking about.

As for abstract art in general, I think if it evokes an emotion, thats worthy, if you look at it and go WTF? It's not. But because it doesn't evoke said emotion in me, doesn't mean someone else isn't going to come in and go OMFG this is brilliant. You know?

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:

Maybe that's precisely the feeling Abstract Art is trying to convey to you.

Thanks to you all. I really enjoyed, reading everything in this thread. Cool

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Explanations are fine but it still comes down to what you see with in or with out the painting. The concept of art is to convey an expression or feeling from the art work to the viewer, if the viewer has no concept of the artists inception then how is he to know what to feel or what the artist expects the viewer to feel

dont worry , you are a person who probely think in a figurative way, thats ok, i have to admit that i have seen very view good abstracts in my life, i also like some figurative skills used in it , my favorite is still aleschinsky and turner

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
This should have way more votes, This should be the winner, best gif ever! are ones I cannot stand to see on my entry, nor on others. Because thats a personal opinion. Are you trying to heard the sheep to also vote for it? Some I think are turned off by outlandish over the top OMFG this is great comments. Esp when there are flaws or things that aren't perfect. Those should be reserved for Outstanding, everything is perfect entries.

Lets also remember Art is subjective.

Take the Pocket watch contest for example. Some people loved the abstract one (a lot). To me, it did nothing for me. Now does that make it bad? No, it just means its not my taste.

Take my entry for example, some people saw, and liked/loved all the subtle details Rey, Sjitske, Brad, Granulated, Anfa, & Claf. Others not so much, or they didn't think it was all that much work. Or they didn't vote cause it was me, or didn't bother to actually view the entry large. What ever. Its subjective. It got 40 votes, which is perfectly acceptable for me. If you didn't like it cause there was a problem with it, you should have said something. Sjitske & Tadams, were the only two to voice an opinion. AND that my friends is not acceptable. I guess I'm with arc Shocked (I can't believe I just said that), we need a button or something to tell the viewers that they indeed can voice an opinion or make suggestions. Cause we all know that there are a lot of fragile egos mucking about.

As for abstract art in general, I think if it evokes an emotion, thats worthy, if you look at it and go WTF? It's not. But because it doesn't evoke said emotion in me, doesn't mean someone else isn't going to come in and go OMFG this is brilliant. You know?

This should have way more votes, man Im way guilty of that one, but a lot of the time I see a good image that is so far down the scale it could be said it was victim to the friends/name vote syndrome. Wink

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:13 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:30 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
This should have way more votes, man Im way guilty of that one, but a lot of the time I see a good image that is so far down the scale it could be said it was victim to the friends/name vote syndrome. Wink

Thats another thing. I think that victim of the name/friends game goes both ways. Some people avoid an entry just because of a name. That proofs in the anon contests.

An entry should stand on its own. If its good, regardless of its author, it should be worthy of your time and your vote. Even if you can't stand that person. It's still worthy. They worked hard on it, their personality traits shouldn't get in the way of their artwork. Do you go to an art gallery and ask, hey is this guy an asshole? Cause if he is, I'm not going to look at it... NO you don't Laughing
I think Marco & Arc here are two perfect examples of this. Some will disagree.. but I think (IMPO) they are perfect examples for what I'm talking about.

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:34 am   Reply with quote         

Good thread (so far Shocked) BlurkerDude!

I am not INCAPABLE of appreciating good abstract art, but much like BLUE I normally get little from it. That doesn't worry me much.

As a songwriter I LOVE GROOVY music. Funky, 80's influenced stuff. (some of you may have heard one or two of my ditties around here). And I really really don't get all happy and jumpy when I listen to most CLASSICAL music. It all sounds over dramatic and manipulative and Fat Lady With A Horned Helmet kinda sounding. Don't mean it ain't possibly GENIUS work. BUT I usually won't cross the street to hear it. Same for most country music, but not all of it.

My point?

Discussing ART is like smelling a piece of wet metal. It kinda smells GOOD to some people, it kinda smells NOT SO GOOD to others, and some people just ain't interested in smelling it at all.

Its PERSONAL. Its PERSONAL. Its PERSONAL. And therefore comes with all the traps and pretty glitter than anything involving our personalities always comes with. My advice ('cause I just KNOW you all want MY advice! Razz)? Just enjoy the discussion and don't try to sell/convince each other who's right and who's wrong. Have some coffee. Some cabbage rolls. A glass of medium priced wine. Look into each others eyes and be amazed that you can do that much. And find humour in your different opinions, not challenges and problems.

--------------------
Those other points Blue are good ones too - but I must now go do my Morning Duties. I know YOU understand about THAT. Wink Ta ta for now mein gibblets! reindeer

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:35 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

Thats another thing. I think that victim of the name/friends game goes both ways. Some people avoid an entry just because of a name. That proofs in the anon contests.

An entry should stand on its own. If its good, regardless of its author, it should be worthy of your time and your vote. Even if you can't stand that person. It's still worthy. They worked hard on it, their personality traits shouldn't get in the way of their artwork. Do you go to an art gallery and ask, hey is this guy an asshole? Cause if he is, I'm not going to look at it... NO you don't Laughing
I think Marco & Arc here are two perfect examples of this. Some will disagree.. but I think (IMPO) they are perfect examples for what I'm talking about.
yah i couldnt have said it better, i totaly agree,

blue_lurker

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:40 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

Yes I know what you are talking about mate but votes are personal and its up to the voter to choice who he votes for, be it on talent or friendship. But this thread aint about why we don't/do get votes its about trying to improve the method of comments from people. I dont think updating should be allowed once posted. If you want to fix your image up do it after the contest, just like in the H2H, or at least after the first day you cant change your image. I vote on what I see not what I expect to see once it is fixed up.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Comment Etiquette - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.