Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - MAth question...not PS stuff - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:41 pm   Reply with quote         

creatrix wrote:
dumbat wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

that's what i understood the question to mean

Ah - yes that makes sense. I was picturing a 3D thing for a decagon, though....

I don't think Lil' Lurker is ready for Calculus just yet. Laughing

dewdew

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
I don't think Lil' Lurker is ready for Calculus just yet
Laughing Laughing

Looking at that snowflake... Shocked ..i ain't either......i thought "penrose" was a name brand of little hot pickled sausages........... Confused .......Math joke....never mind.

Well...... study we all better hope for prizes on the Price is Right........because we going home early on ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER. Laughing Laughing Laughing Surprised

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:08 pm   Reply with quote         

The answer to life, the universe and everything is 42.

Problem solved.

blue_lurker

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:28 am   Reply with quote         

WOW
Ok thanks guys for all he answers, damn did not expect this many people getting involved...Miss Lurker in her 12 year old wisdom has decided to wait till Monday and ask her maths teacher, if she is doing these things right. (Daddy gets to involved and keeps going over everything to much)

For the record she had the same answer as Dumbat, but got it in a very different way and same as the diagram of anna's with the triangles.

Once again thanks guys Laughing

Oscar

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:53 am   Reply with quote         

Oscar

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:57 am   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
The answer to life, the universe and everything is 42.

Problem solved.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&q=the%20answer%20to%20life%20the%20universe%20and%20everything

indeed

creatrix

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:07 am   Reply with quote         

Last night I realized that my equation was ALL screwed up. Embarassed Should be:

22.44 = (x * .85) * 1.10

(Should come out to 42, that being the answer to life, the universe and everything. Or 6 * 7. Whichever.)

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 am   Reply with quote         

Question

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:37 am   Reply with quote         

hey Blue !

I have been working with my own daughter with just basic math stuff. She is great at math and loves it and has taken algebra one, two, and geometry but schools do NOT teach basic math..... you can figure the distance to get your rocket ship to the moon but making change and figuring percents is not taught.

What I do with her is play a game. Like for example the price of a jacket is 135.00 so 10% of that is what? I tell her to move the decimal over and it's 13.50. If the jacket is now on sale at 25% what then?
13.50 for one 10%
13.50 for the second 10% and add those up then take 1/2 that original 10% okay would be 6.75 so now ADD the 6.75 to the added up sum of 27 and there's you 25% off which is 33.75 off the total cost of 135.00 thus being roughly around 102.00 .
Just move the decimal and teach it with round numbers in the beginning. Like easy 10% of 10.00 = 1.00 Very Happy Very Happy
Then I make her make change which is handy to always know.

dewdew

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:15 pm   Reply with quote         

24.00 is right...for the 1st problem.......and i say this because you can use it and do the problem in correct order and come out with 22.44......so it must be.....i have tried several ways....and to be honest with ya....my knog'gin hurts....again

24.00 - 3.60(15%) = 20.40...this is the amount 10 % is added to...that makes 22.44.......

BUT.....IF you start with the final amount, and take 10% away... Shocked

22.44 - 2.24(10%) = 20.20.....where did .20 go.... Argh..

so i had to get small(kid) minded...O.k. (get) may be a little more like (am)......anyways, it has to do with the amount your taken the percentage from...because that's what your basing the 100% on

100 - 10% = 90..............but........90 + 10% = 99......1% loss/gain

i still can't wrap my skull around how you would find the amount to tax....given the info.......I believe her math teacher and DUMBAT are aliens....here stealing our pecentages......Funny how i do not remember discovering this while in school...i guess my sixth grade education is obsolete now Hmmm ....wonder what else i missed. Cool ....ooohhh look......SNOWFLAKES Laughing

ScionShade

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:00 pm   Reply with quote         

The second post from the bottom here...it's a nice approach to
word problems
http://www.venicefla.us/forums/index.php?topic=646.0
anyone else learning or helping a kid learn math -
there are links in my homeschool forum - ya just gotta look around for a minute--to all the best stuff out there..it's worth your time to check some of these out
http://www.venicefla.us/forums/index.php?board=39.0

annajon

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Nice stuff ScionShade - hehehe, back to school for all of us.... Shocked Confused Embarassed

annajon

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:11 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
WOW
Ok thanks guys for all he answers, damn did not expect this many people getting involved...Miss Lurker in her 12 year old wisdom has decided to wait till Monday and ask her maths teacher, if she is doing these things right. (Daddy gets to involved and keeps going over everything to much)

For the record she had the same answer as Dumbat, but got it in a very different way and same as the diagram of anna's with the triangles.

Once again thanks guys Laughing

Please, please, will you let us know where we all went wrong, what the teacher says on Monday?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - MAth question...not PS stuff - Reply to topic