Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Ever had carpal tunnel? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:39 pm   Reply with quote         

I just got back from the doctor's office and he thinks I may have carpal tunnel in my left wrist. I've been having numbness and tingling in my left arm for a while. My wife immediate freaked that I was having heart attacks all day long. Laughing

Doc gave me a wrist splint to wear 23.5/7 for the next two weeks to see if that helps. It's not conclusive but it was cheaper than having me have an MRI or nerve induction testing. Laughing

Anyway I've known other people who've had carpal tunnel and they've all talked about the pain. I don't have any pain. Just the annoying tingling. So I wanted to know if any of you have had it and what your symptoms and treatment were (and how long it took to recover). Thanks! Very Happy

ReyRey

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:01 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I just got back from the doctor's office and he thinks I may have carpal tunnel in my left wrist. I've been having numbness and tingling in my left arm for a while. My wife immediate freaked that I was having heart attacks all day long. Laughing

Doc gave me a wrist splint to wear 23.5/7 for the next two weeks to see if that helps. It's not conclusive but it was cheaper than having me have an MRI or nerve induction testing. Laughing

Anyway I've known other people who've had carpal tunnel and they've all talked about the pain. I don't have any pain. Just the annoying tingling. So I wanted to know if any of you have had it and what your symptoms and treatment were (and how long it took to recover). Thanks! Very Happy

Start yanking it with the other hand. When that one goes numb, switch back. Laughing It's fun to do when your hand is numb, because then it feels like someone else is doing it. Laughing Cool Shocked

splodge

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:21 pm   Reply with quote         

i had carpal tunnel shortly after getting my first computer, but i worked through it, good job coz i paid way to much for my first computer, you have been using computers to long to start getting it now, i sugest the wife was correct, you are having a heart attack Smile
have you changed your seat, seating position? new game? new keyboard?

Hallcross Toots
TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:27 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Start yanking it with the other hand. When that one goes numb, switch back. Laughing It's fun to do when your hand is numb, because then it feels like someone else is doing it. Laughing Cool Shocked

You've seen my chops so you should realize I'm not that coordinated. Laughing

splodge wrote:
i had carpal tunnel shortly after getting my first computer, but i worked through it, good job coz i paid way to much for my first computer, you have been using computers to long to start getting it now, i sugest the wife was correct, you are having a heart attack Smile
have you changed your seat, seating position? new game? new keyboard?

Actually this all seems to have started since I got the new job. Shocked

Maybe the setup isn't correct for my height (6'4", 193.04 centimeters or 1.9304 meters). Confused

Plus I've been working temporarily at a new desk for the last couple weeks.

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:37 pm   Reply with quote         

I was pretty convinced that I had carpal tunnel about a year and a half ago. They did the same thing for me, wearing braces on my wrists constantly. My symptoms were exactly the same as yours too.

As it turns out, it wasn't carpal tunnel. After years of doing pommel horse, the cartilage in my wrists had finally eroded. Now whenever the weather changes, I have a handy (hah pun) barometer all the time. I can feel the pressure pretty easily in both wrists (and they crack...constantly).

Stick with wearing the braces. Either way, they'll help to alleviate some of those less than wonderful symptoms.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:40 pm   Reply with quote         

rharrington31 wrote:
I was pretty convinced that I had carpal tunnel about a year and a half ago. They did the same thing for me, wearing braces on my wrists constantly. My symptoms were exactly the same as yours too.

As it turns out, it wasn't carpal tunnel. After years of doing pommel horse, the cartilage in my wrists had finally eroded. Now whenever the weather changes, I have a handy (hah pun) barometer all the time. I can feel the pressure pretty easily in both wrists (and they crack...constantly).

Stick with wearing the braces. Either way, they'll help to alleviate some of those less than wonderful symptoms.

Funny you should mention the weather. It's been raining here all day long and my arm has been bugging the crap outta me (and that's why I went to the doc today finally). Laughing

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:48 pm   Reply with quote         

my dad had carpal tunnel surgery done on both of his wrists when he was in his 50's, his swarthy build and years gripping tools finally took their toll. He didn't complain about pain if I remember correctly. That could be because of his high pain threshold though. It was numbness and loss of grip that he suffered from. They snipped the ligaments and he was back to normal. I can't remember how long his recovery time was. It was hard to tell because he was back to working before he should have been.

it does sound like there may be an ergonomics component there as well

nancers 04/05 @ 10:40 pm
I like beefhead. He's such a noob. Guide him someone, please?

nancers 04/06 @ 08:41 pm
Because you don't count beef. JMH decided that when you were a noob.

PooDeFuego 06/23 @ 03:32 pm
BEEF YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!!
supak0ma

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:30 pm   Reply with quote         

its the disease of us techies Smile anyway, rei-ki worked wonders for me, completely gone.

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:54 pm   Reply with quote         

stress its all stress

cafn8d

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Keep your wrists UP and let your fingers float over the keys at your computer as a pianist does over piano keys. "That is how typists used to type in typing pools... secretaries could touch type all day long on manual typewriters and they never got carpel tunnel syndrome. Resting your wrists on the desk or even slightly leaning on them and bending your hands back and up to reach the keys... that's what causes CTS"... so my old high-school typing teacher used to say --and go on and on about it and how she hated that we got to use computers instead of the old IBM Selectric (or whatever) typewriters she had had in her classroom for years and years before that.

My first thought at your symptom of tingling is a slightly pinched nerve. Besides the new desk, how is your new chair? And are you able to sit straight in front of the computer or do you have to turn or lean to use it? Are you leaning on that arm more than you used to? Also think about anywhere else you sit: at the dinner table, in the car, at your home desk, etc... any changes in habit there? Um... I do NOT need to know about how you're finally trying to fulfill your New Year's resolution to eat more fiber --or any other details concerning that kind of "sitting habit." You might also look for recent changes in your sleeping habits, too... and YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! Razz Laughing

Maybe you should finally lay off the Reece's peanut butter cups and eggs? Try comparing Hershey bars and Kisses, instead. Twisted Evil

Stewie4lb

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Does your Pinkie and ring finger go numb? Mine does, I found out its because I hunch over and push my forearm down on the edge of the desk. Cuts off the blood and does something to the nerves. Now I only use chairs with arm rests and rest my elbow on one, or keep it rested in my lap while not typing. No problems now.

annajon

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:37 am   Reply with quote         

When I had the problem you mentioned, I did not even have a computer. I was at the time stacking shelves in a Supermarket for two years. And my problem was purely ergonomic. And even when my fingers were numb, the problem was situated in my neck. My guess is, from what you wrote, you need to adjust your chair hight with your new desk - and then read what Caf said again. She is right.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:32 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
its the disease of us techies Smile anyway, rei-ki worked wonders for me, completely gone.

Must look up rei-ki. Hmmm

candron wrote:
stress its all stress

Probably. But life in the USA is all about stress. It's who we are. Laughing

cafn8d wrote:
...My first thought at your symptom of tingling is a slightly pinched nerve. Besides the new desk, how is your new chair? And are you able to sit straight in front of the computer or do you have to turn or lean to use it? Are you leaning on that arm more than you used to? Also think about anywhere else you sit: at the dinner table, in the car, at your home desk, etc... any changes in habit there? Um... I do NOT need to know about how you're finally trying to fulfill your New Year's resolution to eat more fiber --or any other details concerning that kind of "sitting habit." You might also look for recent changes in your sleeping habits, too... and YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! Razz Laughing

Maybe you should finally lay off the Reece's peanut butter cups and eggs? Try comparing Hershey bars and Kisses, instead. Twisted Evil

Raising Brow Caffy..... why you know about my sleeping habits?!? Is that you at my window?

I had the same thoughts about the pinched nerve. I told the doc and he said "yeah it's just the nerve in your wrist not your neck". After yesterday I moved the keyboard to a under-mounted tray. Problem I have with those is that I'm too tall and my knees hit the things even with the chair all the way down. Sad

And you'll be happy to hear that I haven't had ANY Reeses cups or eggs since my research project. Laughing

Stewie4lb wrote:
Does your Pinkie and ring finger go numb? Mine does, I found out its because I hunch over and push my forearm down on the edge of the desk. Cuts off the blood and does something to the nerves. Now I only use chairs with arm rests and rest my elbow on one, or keep it rested in my lap while not typing. No problems now.

Nope only my thumb went numb. Doc says theres a nerve branch that goes off to the thumb and that's the one he thinks I'm impinging on. The brace seems to help as my thumb isn't numb anymore. Very Happy

annajon wrote:
When I had the problem you mentioned, I did not even have a computer. I was at the time stacking shelves in a Supermarket for two years. And my problem was purely ergonomic. And even when my fingers were numb, the problem was situated in my neck. My guess is, from what you wrote, you need to adjust your chair hight with your new desk - and then read what Caf said again. She is right.

I will certainly be looking at my ergo situation. As mentioned I've moved the keyboard down lower. It's down now so that I can rest my elbows on the arm rests of the chair while typing. So that should alleviate some stress on the wrists.

I'm hoping to be out of this desk and back to my "normal" desk in a week. *crosses fingers*

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Why do we have to carpool through the tunnel anyway... Confused

dewdew

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
Why do we have to carpool through the tunnel anyway... Confused

I was thinking the same thing Laughing Laughing

I just got a BOW-FLEX machine...it took me two weeks to get back into working out with real weight. I had muscles get sore that i forgot about. Laughing

Working for years one way with one set-up allows your body to strenthen the muscles you use during that time. Once that has changed and you have to move your wrist and all to compensate for the change, the muscles are having to develope for the change.

I know it sounds funny, but even the small hand and wrist muscles work just like your Bi-cep....the more you switch things up the more they have to compensate. Once they start to develope to the change it will go away.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Ever had carpal tunnel? - Reply to topic