Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Looking for tips about graphical tablet - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

kinetic_be

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:45 pm   Reply with quote         

A good friend of mine saw I devoted my last weeks to PS and decided to give me a Graphical Pen tablet.
Not sure if that's the right word, but you know what I mean. (USB-tablet with a pen to draw, can be used as a mouse too)

I would like to know your experiences with this tool.
Personally, I haven't gotten used to it yet because I probably need a lot more practice.
What makes it difficult for me to use are 1) I can't draw Razz
2) I have to watch my screen while I draw instead of my hand.

Are there more people here who use it commonly in Photoshop?
Does it take long to get the 'hang of it' and most important, is it recommandable to use?

Thanks Smile

dewdew

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
I have to watch my screen while I draw instead of my hand.....

Funny ....because that was my first problem....it was like trying to draw DRUNK........it does get easier...Just don't keep looking down. Smile ....

i do wish i had one that.....the pen would also write on a cover paper.....not even sure they make them.. Question ..would be sweet still. Smile

but as for using a tablet....it's so much better than a mouse.......wait and see......that mouse will be like... painting with a brick.....keep the mouse...it's easier to select an specific piont with...the pen jumps alittle. Not having to click,click,click and object out is what i like....and with the pen, you just flip and erase. Cool so i say you owe your bud....a few drinks.

dumbat

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm   Reply with quote         

can't speak from experience but have heard that it does indeed take quite a while to get used to it but once you have it's well worth the effort

Martrex

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:35 pm   Reply with quote         

What makes it difficult for me to use are
1) I can't draw Razz
2) I have to watch my screen while I draw instead of my hand.

If you can't draw why do you keep trying??? Laughing Laughing

I had one for years and the only thing i liked was it was a wireless mouse even before they took over now. MFB Cool

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Somewhere I wrote up a review of my first thoughts when I first got my tablet. I tried to find it but the "debug error" kept me from finding the thread again. Confused

One of the things you can do to get used to it is to create a layer and draw a grid with the pen (do a 5x5 or more). Now go to another layer and draw circles on the intersections of the grid lines. Now go to another layer and put dots in the centers of the circles. Especially fun if you use the brush effects for sizing and opacity.

I'd also suggest using the pen tool with your tablet. It takes some time to get used to but you'll get faster pretty quick. Cool

Edit: I found it!

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7500

Paul Von Stetina

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:36 pm   Reply with quote         

I really noticed a difference in the way brushes feel, tap the screen with the pen tip for instance, or for a real soft touch, the tablet can't be beat, just goof around with it like I did, and one day, even you can do art like this...
Shocked no wait, this is some throw-up after eating a pile of candy Rolling Eyes

dewking

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:46 am   Reply with quote         

I used a wacom tablet about 8 years ago for the first time... then I did without one for years. Last year I bought a 6x8" tablet for my house... then got one for work... I havent touched a mouse since.

It speeds up my work 10 fold and lets me get a lot more detailed, especially thanks to the pressure sensitivity.

It may take some getting used to, but give it a chance if you can. It may not be for everyone, but personally I HIGHLY recommend it.

My only problem now is... when I use someone elses machine, I'm lost without one! Wink

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:06 am   Reply with quote         

It is the ULTIMATE tool. You think it's hard to use at first, but practice with it for a few hours, and you'll be perfectly fine with it in no time. When I first tried one, I had the same issues you're having, but once you get used to it, it's no problem, just like typing, you won't have to look. I can place the cursor exactly where I need it very easily now. When I got my tablet, I practiced accuracy by using it instead of a mouse while using the computer for other tasks, such as browsing the internet, doing work, and also playing games like solitaire, or any flash game online; those are great ways to improve your control. Once you figure it all out, you'll have a very hard time going back to a mouse while drawing in Photoshop. Smile

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:07 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:

I really noticed a difference in the way brushes feel, tap the screen with the pen tip for instance, or for a real soft touch, the tablet can't be beat, just goof around with it like I did, and one day, even you can do art like this...
Shocked no wait, this is some throw-up after eating a pile of candy Rolling Eyes

what brushes are those? they look cool Smile

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:34 am   Reply with quote         

it saved my life

Laughing
kinetic_be

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:47 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks for the tips Smile
I'll try to use it as much as possible to get used to it asap.

Btw Paul, that joke was just gross Laughing

MindGraph

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:08 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

Thank God! I've been digging everywhere for this post and couldn't find it. It helped me alot and wanted to pass it on. Ok....I can sleep now. Shocked

Sleepyeyed

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

I've been looking into getting one of those tablet thingies. Can anyone recommend a specific manufacturer and model? All I know of is Wacom, but I'm not exactly sure of which model would be good for me and if there's a better manufacturer around. I'd primarily use it for painting in photoshop, but also how do these things work in design programs like Indesign? And the size, how important is that?
When people say size doesn't matter, they're usually lying. heh.

dewking

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Sleepyeyed wrote:
I've been looking into getting one of those tablet thingies. Can anyone recommend a specific manufacturer and model? All I know of is Wacom, but I'm not exactly sure of which model would be good for me and if there's a better manufacturer around. I'd primarily use it for painting in photoshop, but also how do these things work in design programs like Indesign? And the size, how important is that?

I bought a 6x8" wacom intros (sp?).... I have dual monitors and the size is plenty big enough for me. If I had a single monitor, and didn't want to spend a lot, the next sise down would probably still be more than enough.

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.
TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Sleepyeyed wrote:

4x6 Intuos3 here. Big enough for me to work on but I wouldn't mind the next size up. Or a Cintq if I could afford/justify it. Laughing

As for makers I'd personally stick to Wacom. They seem to be the measuring stick by which all others are measured. Although, if memory serves, Reinman had a non-Wacom that he liked.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Looking for tips about graphical tablet - Reply to topic