Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How to make an "artistic" colour palette in PS - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Micose

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:19 pm   Reply with quote         

(edited)
This next quick tutorial might help if u need a useful palette of colours, in order to paint with photoshop. The fact that its hand made" will help you to understand how colours interact with each others . As u maybe know u can make all ranges of colours from the primary colours which are Red, Blue and Yellow...even the black colour is a combination of the primaries.

But the main purpose of this tut is to get a cool little palette that can be kept in the corner of ur screen while working on a picture.
U will tell me, "there is yet some colour palette in Photoshop Naïko!", yea but, just try to do a digital painting using them and u will soon realize the lack of ergonomy.

So here we go:

Create a new document, no more than 500x500 pixels big.

GREY BACKGROUND. Create a layer.
Select Brush Tool with any simple brush and open the COLOR palette of Photoshop. Pick the Deep Blue color. Paint a stain of colour on a border. Select another blue, a warmer one this time. Paint another stain just beside (on the right on the screenshot). Now the reds...same thing, first red will be dark, the other one can be any bright red....U can use only RGB colours, which is very good cuz they are the real primaries. Keep going...;same thing for yellows... u can "cheat" and do the greens ... that wil make a circle of colours...

Now select the SMUDGE TOOL at 85% hardness minimum, better to use a wacom cuz ull gonna have to make a lot of movement with ur hand...try to reach a certain gradation of colours...following the circle of colours.
There still is nothing in the center...center is for highlighted colors to white. Select the "finger painting" option (top bar) with white colour selected. Start to paint from the circle of clors to the center, here too , the movement of your hand has to create a gradation. Eachtime u click on the left button of the mouse/Wacompencil, u add some white in the smudging.
Now the black is hard to optain with primaries (not that hard with real paint though). So select ur brush tool again, and add black on the empty zone...Then smudge to the primaries..U can even get some greys to the center. (this can be done on another document though,to keep the colours clean if some of urs prefer).
Now it should look loike this:

Then Ull have to crop the pic so that theres no white border left.
U can go to FILTER>PIXELLATE>MOSAIC and get sthg like this :

(depends of the needs)

So at this point u have the main chromatic circle with highlights... but we need something else: we need palettes to create easily flesh tints, earth tints etc...!
You will use this first palette by picking colours here and there (well its bot chaos, its very logical work: u pick the tertiary colors (green, orange, violet) and u mix them with different %,after that generally u add some yellow+white to enlight colours and start to paint then smudge (new document or add a space with image size like on th screenshot below:)

Top:primary and secondary colours
Bottom: tertiary colors/"dull" colours (i dunno the name in english)
-----
Now finally crop the non-required white borders.;..

Here's my own Color Palette
U can just save it on your hardrive but its lazy, and u will learn nothing from colour interaction...that would be a shame!

Main chromatic palette+Flesh tints+EarthTints.

Done!
Micose

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:39 pm   Reply with quote         

For complementary info check the Chevreul's colours Theory
( i just didnt talked about that , well its part of the moment when i said "tertiary colours",subtil melting of primary and secondary colors with their opposite coloe on the chromatic circle).

http://www.anthonyholdsworth.com/ColorTheory.pdf
Granulated

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:39 pm   Reply with quote         

now tell us how you can dock it Very Happy

jasper

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 pm   Reply with quote         

thanks! this is a great help!

Micose

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 am   Reply with quote         

Granulated wrote:
now tell us how you can dock it Very Happy

yea that stinks...im sure a good programmer could do a modif in Photoshop/// this person should exists somewhere... Smile
mookie01

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:27 am   Reply with quote         

That rewls! I am doing it now.

Micose

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:46 am   Reply with quote         

Next time is brush'tut'time...!
Micose

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:46 am   Reply with quote         

[quote="Micose"](edited)
even the black colour is a combination of the primaries.
[/quote]
depends on the color space.

Nice palette micose

lancoma

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 am   Reply with quote         

finally something from you cheers

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:05 am   Reply with quote         

Well I tried and this is hard to do Confused so I guess I'm lazy and I'll download your colors and do this smudging other time Embarassed

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:56 am   Reply with quote         

ledirlo wrote:
Micose wrote:
(edited)
even the black colour is a combination of the primaries.

depends on the color space.

Nice palette micose

right, if i get what u said , its right...the 3 colours have to be perfectly equal in intensity , hard to explain wih my cheap english ...but the CMYK mode explains it all:
Micose

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:05 am   Reply with quote         

lancoma wrote:
Well I tried and this is hard to do Confused so I guess I'm lazy and I'll download your colors and do this smudging other time Embarassed

lazy!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing
i understand my sweet Lancoma I understand...thers another way to do this....using gradients, but its not fun and the result wont be that different from what is in PS yet...and the fact that the melting with smudge tool isnt perfect is a +, ull see that when using that palette for a painting purpose.
dewdew

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Micose thanks for taking the time to creat this.....it helps out alot.
The Pdf is extremely indepth....and i'm still reading it.....(it's deep) Smile

Van Gogh may have not been the NUT they make him out to be....he did realize that certain colors convey feelings....They do.....and fact is that's why most prisions and ships and subs are roughly painted MIDDLE GREY.....it keeps the people more calm and in a more subdued mood. I can rember someone having a entry trying to convey the message of insanity....i remember you saying that white's and purple hues surrounding the person would be better insanity colors...now i can see why.

It's also wild how the colors can convey Smell and taste.....but musical notes?....i think Newton may have been hit a little hard with that apple.

Now i have to go look at all these painting to see why LEO and Rembrant were so different....and why the artist choose the colors they did.

BRING ON THE BRUSHES...(when you get time) Smile ..and don't worry about your english......this is America....we bearly speak english either. Very Happy

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Cool

Wiz

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:24 pm   Reply with quote         

A little further colour wheel education:-

The traditional 'Three Primary Wheel' is of limited value as it suggests the existence of colours that simply are not available. ie, one red, one yellow and one blue which together will give good clear, predictable 'secondary colours. Not necessarily So!

But let's say we use TWO types of 'Primary Colours'...
An 'Orange' RED and a 'Violet RED.
An 'Violet' BLUE and a 'Greenish' BLUE
An 'Orange' YELLOW and a 'Slightly Greenish' YELLOW

The diagram is formed by colour arrows that point either towards or away from the 'Secondaries'.

Reliance on the use of just 3 'Primary' colours has led to unneccessary confusion. By suggesting as it does, that a single yellow, red and blue will give useful results, it has led many a painter on a wild goose chase trying to identify the ideal 'Primaries' to use.

THE SIX PRIMARIES ARE:-
1.Cadmium Red
2.Alizarin Crimson
3.French Ultramarine
4.Cerulean Blue
5.Lemon Yellow
6.Cadmium Yellow

Have fun mixing Very Happy Wiz

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How to make an "artistic" colour palette in PS - Reply to topic