Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Simulate a Painter Blender Brush in Photoshop? - Reply to topic

mookie01

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:43 am   Reply with quote         

Here is a question I have been wondering about for a while.
In painter, the Just Add Water brush is a blender that moves paint around on the canvas without adding paint. You can also turn down a few sliders and make any brush work as a blender in painter. How do you simulate this in Photoshop?

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

Smudge tool?

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:43 am   Reply with quote         

use dual brushes, or painter as noway PS will give you better brushes than painter

mookie01

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:25 am   Reply with quote         

Thanx for the answers. I like painer's brushes but it seems buggy and crashy to me. Plus most of the brushes slow my athlon way down. It just seems like photoshop is a better piece of software.

Micose

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:13 pm   Reply with quote         

1-create a little file that u call PALETTE. create it with primary colors, then smudge them at 78% in order to have a good range of colours that u will use on the pic u want to do.(this file u can keep it and even change the saturation to use in a little window for all ur works in the future)
2-create ur new document that will be the "painting"
3-draw/paint with BRUSHES to make a rough work (not smudge tool) picking ur colours on the PAlette file. If u meant that u want to "paint" a photo, this layer will be a bit transpareent (not too much), at normal settings (no overlay, no multiply etc)
4-duplicate it
5- u can now use Smudge Tool at 90 to 95% (check the different brushes u can use, even dual brushes like LeDirlo just said)) for imitating OIl paiint and at lower settings for a more Watercolour style job.
So start to smudge ur layer (the one u did with brush tyool and that u duplicated).At this point u can set this layer back at 100%opacity (90-95% if u work from a photo and want to still see it a bit).NOtice WELL that thers a feature to add a colour while using smudge, its really cool when u have to retouch parts , or add some highlights, or darkened parts).

6 now u can add a adjustement layer when ur done with the action painting, its uur choice, u can neutralize colours, play with muminosity, with sharpness (personnally i use a filter called HIGH PASS to give sharpnesss : FILTER>OTHER>HIGH PASS at 1% on a duplicated layer (again) then set LAYER STYLE>OVERLAY

Finally u can add a texture (the patterns in PS are crap, better to google for real canvas texture and overly or multiply it on ur picture)

Merge.

Ur done
Micose

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:16 pm   Reply with quote         

mookie01 wrote:
Thanx for the answers. I like painer's brushes but it seems buggy and crashy to me. Plus most of the brushes slow my athlon way down. It just seems like photoshop is a better piece of software.

i know i experienced that too (but i have better graphic card and stuff now, but tsill use PS cuz i dont have money to buy the Corel Painter). If u follow my tut u will have good results i think.
mookie01

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanx for the help Micose. Dayum that is complicated.

dewdew

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:50 pm   Reply with quote         

so is corel or painter actually a better program for drawing and painting???....wonder if you can change the file name and have ps recognize a coral brush file. Anyone know?

Micose

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:29 pm   Reply with quote         

mookie01 wrote:
Thanx for the help Micose. Dayum that is complicated.

Nope its not ..;words are complicated Laughing If i have time i'll do screenshots...
Micose

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:35 pm   Reply with quote         

well if u guys want to do it really pro, easier, and cheaper than with Corel, u can pick ArtRage2 free ,on web .But u still will need to combine with some Photoshop work as it has lacks in realism but still its the best software besides the expensive Corel....the free version is good enough to start (not time limited, features like transparent multilayers are blocked), but the full version is only at 29,95 dollars.

Dew, i dont think theres a brush compatibility between Corel and Adobe, but not sure at 100%.
Micose

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:53 pm   Reply with quote         

[quote="dewdew"]so is corel or painter actually a better program for drawing and painting???....wonder if you can change the file name and have ps recognize a coral brush file. Anyone know?[/quote]

ps is made for photo retouching, painter for painting.
noway to import painter brushes into photoshop sorry

dewdew

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:52 pm   Reply with quote         

ps is made for photo retouching, painter for painting......
Doh!
i know ....you hear that alot....but.....sometimes i see things like this brush thread where it seems that everyone agrees....(to some degree)...that the brushes are better....or seem to have more control in paint.
..and i also have notice that there is no-way....That i know of.. Cool ....to combine colors on a brush. like half green,half yellow other than as Micose has said..lay down the colors and smudge...which works o.k.

Then again combining colors and not being able to twist the brush would not help really.

noway to import painter brushes into photoshop sorry

Crying or Very sad damn the MAN....and his copyrighted software....so it would be trying to use a PS3 file in the xbox......different formats all together.
I was hoping for some MAGICAL shit i guess. Rolling Eyes Thanks Led

Micose....i get your tut......like putting your colors down before canvas painting..... thumright ....finally a MICOSE TUTORIAL. bounce ....i doing one for tommorrows contest.....thanks man.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Simulate a Painter Blender Brush in Photoshop? - Reply to topic