Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Need a favor... - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Marx-Man

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:38 am   Reply with quote         

[quote=PSC contract]While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered above; they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The e-mail address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one).

By clicking Register below you agree to be bound by these conditions.[/quote]

Well i dont see anything in the terms you signed up for stating that psc owns your images... However its still very much worth getting a clarification on what that copyright extends to... but aside from that psc doesn't apear to claim rights to distrobution... (but still as it is a competition i would be very hesitant to use previous works as the other things may apply...)

Although.. its odd there seems to be no mention of any distrobution rights being given or taken either...

i mean up till now i guess there has been an assumption... that psc can distrobute the images as the images are held by its copyright... which extends to text and images... but as for ownership distrobution i would have to say. a simple get out clause...

if you still have the psd.. you own that, provided your version of photoshop is legal... there will be no question of it.

as for the distrobution rights psc holds the copyrights too images posted on psc... Ask PROC just in case.

Marx-Man

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:50 am   Reply with quote         

"Although.. its odd there seems to be no mention of any distrobution rights being given or taken either... "

in regards to this statment...

Which i generally dont do...

But it would be adviseable that the psc policy is updated to that which extends to distrobution unless i missed somthing.

it would apppear that the distrobution rights are infact held still by the origional owner... (i guess thats why there is an option to hide your works.)

Alhtough the distrobution rights are still in the owners hands.. the copyright is in psc's hands.. this is somwhat of delecate conundrum... as this scenario can happpen (i can let sombody use it and psc forbids it... or psc wants to use it and i forbid it)

(It would take a new contract to release these rights...)

cherylm329

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:39 am   Reply with quote         

tadams wrote:
Cheryl, you didn't mention how much time you have to prepare. Has PSC sucked away all your creativity and time that you can't create something new outside the constraints of these contests? You're in PSC mode. It's time to break out and create something new using everything you've learned.

Theme is important. Have a story to tell. Don't pile on too many objects trying to relate them, keep it simple. Remember lighting, composition, and pick a color palette. Saturated or soft. Thin lines, thick lines. Dark, light. Big, small. Up, down. Keep the eye moving throughout your comp.

Ironically, I started an image tonight from one of my own photos Smile Thanks! I am under some time constraints and I wasn't going to be posting in PSC contests after tommorrow for a little bit, school, work, warmer weather, ya know Smile

yello_piggy

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:54 am   Reply with quote         

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/117444/mmm.html

I like this very much! good luck with your competition!

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:00 am   Reply with quote         

::offtopic::

I'm making an extension to the pscquickbar to hide long (or every ) marx-man comment....

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:41 am   Reply with quote         

I remember, back when I signed up, there used to be a notice that said the choppers still retained rights to their own submissions. I haven't been able to find it again though. Confused

Anyone know why that was removed? And when? Mods? Old-timers? Hello?

That was one reason I liked PSC over W1K. W1K explicitly says that they get the rights to images you create for their contests (so that he can sell the books full of great chops).

cherylm329

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:45 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I remember, back when I signed up, there used to be a notice that said the choppers still retained rights to their own submissions. I haven't been able to find it again though. Confused

Anyone know why that was removed? And when? Mods? Old-timers? Hello?

That was one reason I liked PSC over W1K. W1K explicitly says that they get the rights to images you create for their contests (so that he can sell the books full of great chops).

Errr. Confused Not sure if I will be chopping as much anymore if that is the case. That is why I left worth1000.com

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:19 am   Reply with quote         

It doesn't matter what any contract says...
The chops that I create are MY chops and not PSC's.

Sorry.

And if anyone presses the issue, I'll change all of my entries to nude photos of Margaret Thatcher.

Twisted Evil

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:20 am   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
::offtopic::

I'm making an extension to the pscquickbar to hide long (or every ) marx-man comment....

Laughing Laughing Laughing

cherylm329

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:06 am   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
It doesn't matter what any contract says...
The chops that I create are MY chops and not PSC's.

Sorry.

And if anyone presses the issue, I'll change all of my entries to nude photos of Margaret Thatcher.

Twisted Evil
Laughing

cherylm329

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

MindGraph wrote:
are you presenting it as a before and after or is it just the final. Makes a difference in what to submit. So far I like this
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/111496/flower-queen.html

Actually, I started a fresh image last night, after the contest I will revive this thread and show it. I also think I am going to have more time than I thought I did to do it and still do some PSC work, that is if it is my work and not PSC's, haha.

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:17 am   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
...I wasn't going to be posting in PSC contests after tommorrow for a little bit, school, work, warmer weather, ya know Smile

What? You can't stop entering PSC contests just because of silly comittments and a little sunshine. PSCs' terms of agreement specifically state that you can never leave or stop once you start Wink

cherylm329

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:26 am   Reply with quote         

tadams wrote:
cherylm329 wrote:
...I wasn't going to be posting in PSC contests after tommorrow for a little bit, school, work, warmer weather, ya know Smile

What? You can't stop entering PSC contests just because of silly comittments and a little sunshine. PSCs' terms of agreement specifically state that you can never leave or stop once you start Wink

Believe me, I am addicted to chopping I can't deny it and I am sure it will be just until the weather gets crappy again like Monday, haha Razz Were suppose to have some good weather the next few days, when that happens I am out and about.

Mir

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:59 am   Reply with quote         

I had one of my images in psc published and before I allowed it to be published I wrote in to the administrator to ask if I was allowed to do so, since I had used the source in my image of course. I was told that I was allowed to do what ever I wanted with my image. The administrator said I could put in a link to psc if it was possible but it was not essential to do so. This was before the new administration though, so if you did want to use one of your images here just write and ask and that in it self would be prove that the copyright is yours.

ScionShade

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:48 pm   Reply with quote         

heheheeh, I had so much fun playing with this 'copyrihght' issue at PSc before.
Here's how it is.
The person who chopped the image has copyright over that image and need not ask anybody permission to use their own work in any way they wish. Be it for another contest or for making money.
The site does however have certain rights to use of your image that do not preclude your rights.
These are called "fair use".
The site owner may use the image in advertising,he can tattoo it on his forehead if he likes.Publishers may use it when referring to PSC, or photoshop techniques, anything that is relevant enough and not for direct profit.
What he can't do is go selling it without your permission.So don't go worrying about a non-issue. Good luck Cher.
I'd be on an art forum if I were you asking this question.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Need a favor... - Reply to topic