Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Yesterday's ice storm - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:00 pm   Reply with quote         

We had an ice storm yesterday afternoon. I took those pictures last evening. Hope you enjoy...
Smile

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:02 pm   Reply with quote         

cool...
those ice storms can be bad..that looks rough!!

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Nice photo's...Wouldn't want to be one of those drivers In the first pic.. Surprised

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Big ice storm downed tons of trees in the Midwest. My mom said there were photographers everywhere around Tower Grove Park taking pictures of them. Sweet pics...love that you took them at night...great mood. Hope it didn't knock out your power like it did in St. Louis and Chicago.

Would love to see more

anfa

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Very cool! I watched a documentary about ice storms and they look a bit dangerous to me! It looks cool but I'm glad we don't get them. Wink

Sassy

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Just talked to a friend in St. Louie..2 inch's of ice all over,tree's can't bear the weight and just fell...and snow too...I reminded her I am looking for a dogsitter for a few months in FLorida... Laughing

thanks for the piccies...

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:31 pm   Reply with quote         

If you think driving in it is bad, You should try parking in it! Wal Mart parking lot in Mason City, Iowa is like an ice skating rink in January!

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Yesterday's storm wasn't too bad. Power failed for sure, damaged trees, minor car accidents. The trees was the dangerous thing...

Picture from newspaper

We had a major ice storm in 1998. The power failed for few days. Some electrical structures just collapsed. I remember downtown Montréal in the complete darkness. It was weird. We had to be careful especially under electrical wires or any kind of roofs. There was big pieces of ice, big like bottles of beer falling down on the street & sidewalk. Here 2 pictures from that storm...

TofuTheGreat

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Great pictures. I've been through a couple ice storms. I like how everything looks after it's been encased in the ice. There's an eerie beauty to the ice on everything.

cherylm329

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:16 pm   Reply with quote         

I had the same thing here in the beginning of October (which has never happened here), we also had 2 feet of snow with it. I was without power for 7 days Sad

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:14 am   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
I had the same thing here in the beginning of October (which has never happened here), we also had 2 feet of snow with it. I was without power for 7 days Sad

Beginning of October... it was pretty early! We had absolutely nothing up north that day.
Without power for 7 days... not bad if it wasn't too cold, but probably very boring. Laughing
In 1998, I was without power for 3 days... in a big city, that's tough to believe. In the suburbs, some places were without power for 2 weeks. It was in January, when temperature can drop to -30 C (-20 F). But if I remember well, it never came under -10 C.

FootFungas

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:20 am   Reply with quote         

I love Ice storms, with everything covered in Ice.
They aren't that common in Virginia, but last year we had like a quarter inch of Ice and that was cool.

cherylm329

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:10 am   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
cherylm329 wrote:

Beginning of October... it was pretty early! We had absolutely nothing up north that day.
Without power for 7 days... not bad if it wasn't too cold, but probably very boring. Laughing
In 1998, I was without power for 3 days... in a big city, that's tough to believe. In the suburbs, some places were without power for 2 weeks. It was in January, when temperature can drop to -30 C (-20 F). But if I remember well, it never came under -10 C.

It was cold at night (30's F). I couldn't even stay home I had to leave because I had no way to stay warm unless I took a shower every 1/2 hour and my stove is electric Huh.. It was a little boring , but we improvised and it was a lot of fun to actually spend time with my daughter and my Mom (where I stayed until I got power back) without watching TV, playing video games, etc. Technology takes away human interaction Very Happy

It's kind of scary how the weather is getting more severe everywhere. Just yesterday we had severe winds (35 to 50 mph) and flooding. Here are some pics from the storm if you want to take a gander Very Happy http://pics.livejournal.com/cahreirsyal007/gallery/00008ws3

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:43 am   Reply with quote         

Nice pictures. It looks like the leaves in the trees didn't help.

Yeah! Without technology makes big difference. But human interaction isn't so interesting sometimes. In 1998, the mother, sister & family of my ex-girlfriend spent 4 days in my place. First they came because I still had power... but only for the first day!
I already had enough trouble with my ex, her mother was just exactly the kind of person you dont want to see everyday. Her sister wasn't too bad but she was with one of the worst asshole I met in my life. All that with two little disturbing girls you feel to kick the butt all the time.

I heard it was impossible to find candles in any stores after a couple of days. My ex bought the first day so many candles, I still have a couple of boxes of them. It was probably her fault! She was the kind to put candles everywhere & trying to burn the house... Laughing

cherylm329

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:04 am   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
Nice pictures. It looks like the leaves in the trees didn't help.

Yeah! Without technology makes big difference. But human interaction isn't so interesting sometimes. In 1998, the mother, sister & family of my ex-girlfriend spent 4 days in my place. First they came because I still had power... but only for the first day!
I already had enough trouble with my ex, her mother was just exactly the kind of person you dont want to see everyday. Her sister wasn't too bad but she was with one of the worst asshole I met in my life. All that with two little disturbing girls you feel to kick the butt all the time.

I heard it was impossible to find candles in any stores after a couple of days. My ex bought the first day so many candles, I still have a couple of boxes of them. It was probably her fault! She was the kind to put candles everywhere & trying to burn the house... Laughing

Thanks. Yeah and I think between the rain, ice, and snow they just couldn't hold the weight of it all.

You have a point when your around people that annoy or drive you crazy, lol. I tried to go to the store to get candles 2 days later (there was a driving ban) and there was a huge line. Candles weren't the only thing I couldn't get either. Batteries, ice, and bottled water was scarce. When I went to the grocery store you would have thought it was Christmas with all the people there, actually I don't think I have ever seen a store so crowded with people.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Yesterday's ice storm - Reply to topic