Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Anyone else use filters? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

mikey

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:17 pm   Reply with quote         

It's like special effects when you record music" if you over use them they become all too common effects" and take away from the foundation of a piece. but used (sparingly) they can be useful. of course it's best to create the effects pure from scratch though! if possible" Cool

Queen La Tiff

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:20 pm   Reply with quote         

I use sharpen edges a lot...and also I like "high pass." But that's about it. I do use layer styles, but only ones that I make myself.

I don't know about the philosophy of it...all roads leading to Rome and all that...

I'm astonished that no one has brought up the actions thing. That's what I consider cheating, frankly. Downloading someone else's problem-solving and claiming it as your own work--yikes.

But dang...cheating in a contest where there's no prize? Pretty stupid.

jerry717

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Queen La Tiff wrote:
I use sharpen edges a lot...and also I like "high pass." But that's about it. I do use layer styles, but only ones that I make myself.

I don't know about the philosophy of it...all roads leading to Rome and all that...

I'm astonished that no one has brought up the actions thing. That's what I consider cheating, frankly. Downloading someone else's problem-solving and claiming it as your own work--yikes.

But dang...cheating in a contest where there's no prize? Pretty stupid.

Actions are also a great tool and an amazing time saver. I use actions every day. I create the actions that I use and I have over 100 of them. I have actions that simulate some of the tools that exist in PS before they actually existed in PS like the highlight/shadow command. My version is more powerful and more versatile but not as intuitive. It doesn't need to be intuitive because I created it. This is a resultant example of the use of that action.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87494/nice-throwarf.html

I also use actions for processing hundreds of images at a time. I produce catalogs that have hundreds of high res images that require re-purposing for web use. That involves drastically downsizing the images and then sharpening them for clarity for web display. The actions that I use for this are very complicated and involve as many as 100 operations but can reduce the time it takes to process many images from hours to minutes.

I use actions as a great teaching aid. If I need to show someone how to accomplish something, than the simplest way is to record it, insert stops with explanations for what is taking place, and then asking the receiver of this action to dissect it to fully understand what I am teaching them to do. Even using someone else's action can teach a whole lot if one learns how to decode what is going on inside the action. It's not very hard to do... in fact, it's quite simple.

As indicated above, I use actions on the images that I post for contests here. The correction made to the image linked to above would take about 4 or 5 minutes to do but the action that I used reduced the time required to 4 or 5 seconds. If anyone thinks that I am cheating by using actions than they must have much more time on their hands than I do. Wink

Cheers,
Jerry

Micose

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:38 pm   Reply with quote         

that's cool Jerry u talked about that...I will try to use it f,cuz it takes a lot of time...but may these actions can be fade or changed at each step ?
jerry717

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:10 am   Reply with quote         

Yes...All actions can be modified at each function that they are using by checking the little box beside each step. That allows for customized results on each image they are applied to.
Jerry

Queen La Tiff

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:15 pm   Reply with quote         

No, jerry, don't misunderstand. I make a ton of actions too, and use them all the time...but I never downloaded someone else's actions and used them in a contest. I just remember someone downloaded that "25 Matrix" one, ran it on an image, and posted the result. Fine, if you created the action. Cheating if you just downloaded it.

ReyRey

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:33 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't use third party filters. Not that I am too proud, I just have not found any that do a better job than you can do in photoshop.

splodge

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:21 pm   Reply with quote         

i only use actions, after all that's all filters are, pre-set actions, but i can call them actions and not filters, filters or ok for poster texts, but then they are called styes, not filters, filters is the 'F' word of photoshop

Hallcross Toots
photoshoppinfmj

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:07 am   Reply with quote         

I dont use them all the time. Just checking to see if others use them. Sometimes it is easier and faster to get the same thing done.

I use to use actions allot but havent for some time. PLus im sure allot of you have been using ps longer than I. I have been using it for maybe 4 years and still learn new stuff every day that makes it funner all the time. first chop was using ps6.0 and man did i suck..lol dont claim to be good now just learning more as I go along.

I do read allot of books and watch tutorials all the time from Kelby, Mclelland and Monroy. but still always wanting to learn more. Someday i get time ill enter a piece and see how it goes.

splodge

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:47 am   Reply with quote         

download some good tips and trix, the only way to learn,
http://www.hallcross.co.uk/free%20stuff/freestuff.htm

Hallcross Toots
photoshoppinfmj

Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 pm   Reply with quote         

why thank you.. I always enjoy more tutorials.. The more the well you get the idea...lol.

Ended up reloading to cs suite. my cs2 is slowing my laptop down way to much. And it has 2gig ram. Plus for some reason my adobe bridge quit working. Not sure whats up. Just errors out.

Maybe ill reload CS2 Suite on my pc its more powerful anyway.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Anyone else use filters? - Reply to topic