Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - This website is confusing. - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:32 am   Reply with quote         

It's very difficult imo to find out what you need, on this website. On the homepage, the "contest" link needs to be waaaay bigger seing as though it's the whole point of the site! I go to a page such as the "You Tell Em Statue" contest and there is no sort of prioritized linking or flow. The webpage should show me where to click, whats important etc. Instead the 'download original' link is tiny and at the bottom right. Nowhere on this site that I can find gives any sort of direction, like what to do with the image. Are there rules, or a purpose when editing or is it just free manipulation? Where does it say what the prizes are for the winner? Why are the image tags the first thing that the viewer reads? They're almost irrelevent.

I think this website is too difficult, and I know of quite a few people that have been put off by it's messy layout. You need a better one. It's a graphic design website, and it's layout incorparates one image! A tiny tricolour logo. I'm not posting this to cut down your site, I'm trying to help because I'm genuinely interested in participating.

If anyone could tell me how to find guidelines for contests particularly the one above) and what I win, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks for reading.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

micomator wrote:
It's very difficult imo to find out what you need, on this website. On the homepage, the "contest" link needs to be waaaay bigger seing as though it's the whole point of the site! I go to a page such as the "You Tell Em Statue" contest and there is no sort of prioritized linking or flow. The webpage should show me where to click, whats important etc. Instead the 'download original' link is tiny and at the bottom right. Nowhere on this site that I can find gives any sort of direction, like what to do with the image. Are there rules, or a purpose when editing or is it just free manipulation? Where does it say what the prizes are for the winner? Why are the image tags the first thing that the viewer reads? They're almost irrelevent.

I think this website is too difficult, and I know of quite a few people that have been put off by it's messy layout. You need a better one. I'm not posting this to cut down your site, I'm trying to help because I'm genuinely interested in participating.

If anyone could tell me how to find guidelines for contests particularly the one above) and what I win, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks for reading.
for me this is one of the best sites build, easy to work on, good few over the entries, for me its perfect,

anfa

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:40 am   Reply with quote         

Spot the idiot! Laughing

splodge

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:50 am   Reply with quote         

the help button is usefull,
http://photoshopcontest.com/faq/help.html

Hallcross Toots
Lord David

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:56 am   Reply with quote         

micomator wrote:

I think this website is too difficult, and I know of quite a few people that have been put off by it's messy layout. You need a better one. It's a graphic design website, and it's layout incorparates one image! A tiny tricolour logo. I'm not posting this to cut down your site, I'm trying to help because I'm genuinely interested in participating.

Thanks for reading.

Have you ever seen the previous layout of Worth1000? Now THAT was a confusing website!

ScionShade

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:19 am   Reply with quote         

micomator wrote:

You just made me fall in love with every possible design flaw this place has. I never realized it was keeping people with poorer comprehension skills away. That is incredibly excellent.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:29 am   Reply with quote         

Once you get used to the layout it won't be confusing. The hardest part for me when I first came was following the pixel width/height requirement and the file size requirement for upload of art. If you decide to go advantage those issues disappear totally and it's really easy.

Just playing around with the site will banish the confusion. But imho.... it's not difficult

Scrumpy

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:32 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
micomator wrote:

You just made me fall in love with every possible design flaw this place has. I never realized it was keeping people with poorer comprehension skills away. That is incredibly excellent.

Haha... well said Joe. If you can't navigate your way around this place then you might struggle with photoshop.

Now...how the hell do I post this again?...oh yeah- submit button

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:50 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
micomator wrote:

Spot the genius! Laughing

annajon

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:57 am   Reply with quote         

Well, I don't regard myself as a very clever person. And when I started here in 2004, I had hardly done anything on the Interweb at all, still, I managed to get signed up, download images - chop them AND upload them to the contest in time to even get some votes before closing time.

If I can do it - so can anybody else, trust me.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:23 am   Reply with quote         

Im glad you replied.

Neither candron, Lord David, ScionShade, manic_d, Scrumpy, anfa, annjon or the help page answered the two questions I politely asked. If I'm being an "idiot" for not being able to find answers for my questions, why can't you answer them for me?

And I think I find my way around photoshop quite well:

zkram(dot)deviantart(dot)com(slash)gallery

I criticized this website and people jumped on me with sarcastic replies. If you can't take criticism you will never make money from your graphic deisgn. I was polite and was answered with rudeness. Why would I want to stay on this website if I have initial problems, ask for help and get slated?

anfa

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:40 am   Reply with quote         

Sorry mate, but I'm not spoon feeding you.

Anyone?...

nog

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

micomator wrote:
I'm not posting this to cut down your site....
-It's very difficult imo to find out what you need
-the "contest" link needs to be waaaay bigger
-no sort of prioritized linking or flow.
-The webpage should show me where to click
-'download original' link is tiny and at the bottom right
-Nowhere on this site that I can find gives any sort of direction
- Why are the image tags the first thing that the viewer reads?
-I think this website is too difficult
-messy layout

It wouldn't seem so bad if you could find something you enjoy about the site.

micomator wrote:
it's layout incorparates one image! A tiny tricolour logo

In the business world we hate it when companies incorporate their logo into a site!?!?!?

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:47 am   Reply with quote         

micomator wrote:
Im glad you replied.

Neither candron, Lord David, ScionShade, manic_d, Scrumpy, anfa, annjon or the help page answered the two questions I politely asked. If I'm being an "idiot" for not being able to find answers for my questions, why can't you answer them for me?

And I think I find my way around photoshop quite well:

zkram(dot)deviantart(dot)com(slash)gallery

I criticized this website and people jumped on me with sarcastic replies. If you can't take criticism you will never make money from your graphic deisgn. I was polite and was answered with rudeness. Why would I want to stay on this website if I have initial problems, ask for help and get slated?

Micomator,

If you stick around you will find that this place is one of the most friendly and helpful places on the internet!
The reason you are getting slammed with sarcasm is that you have just joined the site, not posted any images, not contributed to the community at all and your introduction to us is complaining about everything that's wrong with the site.

Respectfully, I've been here for 4 years and I've never had a problem navigating the site, entering images, etc. If you would like to ask an honest question, then don't prefix it with what a crappy site this is! You will get much more help without criticizing the place that you're wanting to become a part of.

Just my $200. Laughing

FYI, Most of the contests are done for fun not for prizes. If there is a prize contest, then the prize that you win will be displayed in the contest itself (On the right of all the images that are entered).

See here for an example: http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/2459/foggy-footbridge.html

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:50 am   Reply with quote         

I said "I'm trying to help because I'm genuinely interested in participating." Isn't that saying a good thing about the site? Obviously I appreciate this website's concept or else I wouldn't be asking this questions, would I?

"In the business world we hate it when companies incorporate their logo into a site!?!?!? "

As a web designer I know that a website's aesthetics must reflect the websites purpose. If I went into a portrait photography studio, I'd expect to see some photos on the walls! And not just one, small, poor one!

Azionite, I have not posted images because I do not fully understand the competition, hence my two questions. I asked my questions, and provided my opinion of why these questions have been raised. This is not just me, I have sent a few friends to this site and most of them reply with "I don't get it" or "what do I win?". Why leave these criticism unsaid when the next person may come along, struggle and leave?

Apparently you don't want to "spoonfeed" me. If the answer to my questions are so obvious, and I am being so obtuse, maybe it has something to do with my software? Maybe my browser settings are causing the link to disappear? Couldn't you just answer my two questions, so I can get on with becoming a part of this community? I do not see why this is such a big deal! A newcomer on a website has some questions, so instead of helping him out you insult him and dance around the answer?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - This website is confusing. - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.