Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Profile Pic - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

eponas_faerie

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Anyone know how I can find a picture small enough to be my icon!?? I tried reducing the size of things in photshop even, but they can't get small enough to be 6k??? Any smaller and you can't even see em! Lol I feel like such a noob....

Netwel

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Create (or resize) your pic in the dimension 70 x 70 px or smaller. Then hit save for the web, alt-ctrl-shift-s and at the optimise-to-file-size-dialog enter 6 k.
If I'm not clear read : http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5941
for more about save for web.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:50 pm   Reply with quote         

I just grabbed someone elses and put my own pic in and did what Netwel mentioned. Wink

Oscar

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:26 pm   Reply with quote         

for some reason my pics always come to 2k or less Laughing

eponas_faerie

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Yay! It worked! Thanks! I never even knew about the "save for web" thing... Would that be helpful in uploading my entries?? Shocked

dumbat

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:49 pm   Reply with quote         

eponas_faerie wrote:
Yay! It worked! Thanks! I never even knew about the "save for web" thing... Would that be helpful in uploading my entries?? Shocked
you'd usually use this if you're entering an animated gif. but a normal chop, you'd probably just want to increase the jpeg compression (ie decrease the jpeg quality) when you save as jpeg

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 am   Reply with quote         

great...another faerie

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:27 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:29 am   Reply with quote         

dumbat wrote:
eponas_faerie wrote:
you'd usually use this if you're entering an animated gif. but a normal chop, you'd probably just want to increase the jpeg compression (ie decrease the jpeg quality) when you save as jpeg

I always use the save for the web and optimize to the file size limit. It works for jpegs just as well as the gifs.

dumbat

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:37 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
I always use the save for the web and optimize to the file size limit. It works for jpegs just as well as the gifs.
that's interesting. i'll have to compare the look of the 2 methods. often when stepping down 1 level in jpeg quality the filesize drops from above 512 to way below and it's a bit annoying

NOGOODSK8RPUNK

Location: hum let me think, oh i know, if you look real hard i sometimes appear in your forum's text box

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:43 am   Reply with quote         

dumbat wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
that's interesting. i'll have to compare the look of the 2 methods. often when stepping down 1 level in jpeg quality the filesize drops from above 512 to way below and it's a bit annoying
ok i'm only asking because i'd like to know i did a gif that will be coming out soon and i'm not happy w/ it after i optimized it to 510 kb from a starting point of 2 mb so could i have left it and just hit save for eb and done the kb of 512 and it would have done it for me automatically? i don't do alot of animated gifs so this would be a cool thing to learn. sorry if its off topic
-m-

eponas_faerie

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:45 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks everyone Smile I'm starting to become addicted to this place Wink

ScionShade

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:49 am   Reply with quote         

Ok you blue fairy Aisha.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:08 pm   Reply with quote         

NOGOODSK8RPUNK wrote:
dumbat wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
ok i'm only asking because i'd like to know i did a gif that will be coming out soon and i'm not happy w/ it after i optimized it to 510 kb from a starting point of 2 mb so could i have left it and just hit save for eb and done the kb of 512 and it would have done it for me automatically? i don't do alot of animated gifs so this would be a cool thing to learn. sorry if its off topic
-m-

It doesn't do it automatically, but it gives you a bunch of options like dither or no dither, lossiness, # of colors, size (dimensions, you can work on a big version of your image, then change the dimensions later to meet any requirements you have while still having a high res version).

I use save for web all the time simply because it lets you preview what it will look like once it's saved.

kittie

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:56 pm   Reply with quote         

haha, my homepage to IE is neopets.... of course, it's been years since I used IE Razz

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Profile Pic - Reply to topic