Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Gifs As Externals - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

anfa

Post Tue May 01, 2012 9:13 am   Reply with quote         

OK, we all know the pro and anti gif arguments, but what do you peeps think of people using a gif that they didn't create in their chop. I believe that some gifs are over voted simply because they are gifs so I'm totally against using one as an external. I see it as an attempt to gain some cheap unearned votes.
This is from the contest that closed today: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/184303/votes.html
Btw, this guy didn't state that the gif was an external until it was pointed out.

Sorry raj_japsi if you think I'm busting your balls but I don't think this is acceptable.

Well that's my 2 farthings and an eighthpenny.

TheShaman

Post Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 am   Reply with quote         

I admit I ooh'd and ahh'd for the shiny moving thing and voted.
I had thought it was done by the creator, and was not a simple copy and paste into an preexisting gif external.

We're given authors notes for the purpose of explaining our entries.
(not that it's required, it is suggested you show your externals)
Either by showing them in a link Externals or listing them. IE: Waterfall gif external.
ESPECIALLY in cases like this where the external overpowers the actual work done.

Listing an external in your authors notes is pretty simple. Just use a site like imageshack where the author is anon, (NOTE: photobucket has your user name as part of the code not good for anon-contests http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/TheShaman/Photoshop%20Contest/DawgSourcesReunion.jpg ) and just copy and paste the http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/316/2/b/test_by_sakurakeuh-d32od8k.gif into the authors notes, PSC is already coded to turn this into a link for you.

my inflated 2¢

Site Moderator

Post Tue May 01, 2012 9:44 am   Reply with quote         

From the FAQ / Rules:

Should I mention my external sources?
You should not use an external source that would deceive voters into thinking that you did significant manipulations to the source that you did not do. Entries believed to be in violation of this rule will be removed. Enforcement of this rule is subject to moderator discretion. As a general rule of thumb, if you submit an entry that relies heavily on an external sources in this way, you should post a link to those sources along with your entry.

Same thing applies for gifs.
As Shaman said, if you are going to post something that falls into this gray area, post a link to the external in your author notes from the very start.
vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 am   Reply with quote         

I read the title as "Girls as externals". I was disappointed.

ReyRey

Post Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 am   Reply with quote         

Why put your name on it??

charliesou

Post Tue May 01, 2012 11:26 am   Reply with quote         

Its not a hanging offence but, putting your signature on someone else's creation is pretty sneaky.

:croptool: Laughing

seamusoisin

Post Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 am   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
I read the title as "Girls as externals". I was disappointed.

I saw nips as externals and I am really disappointed. Laughing

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
Watch them Drift

Post Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Gifcontest.com

This would have solved this problem. Shit I am lazy and need some help with the site. It'd be nice to link it to here as a sister site. Confused

Post Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Watch them Drift wrote:
Gifcontest.com

This would have solved this problem. Shit I am lazy and need some help with the site. It'd be nice to link it to here as a sister site. Confused
Girlcontest.com - now you're on to something

Post Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok, I have noted all objections and advices. I will take good care accordingly in future.. !! Thanks !!

Post Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:
From the FAQ / Rules:

Should I mention my external sources?
You should not use an external source that would deceive voters into thinking that you did significant manipulations to the source that you did not do. Entries believed to be in violation of this rule will be removed. Enforcement of this rule is subject to moderator discretion. As a general rule of thumb, if you submit an entry that relies heavily on an external sources in this way, you should post a link to those sources along with your entry.

Same thing applies for gifs.
As Shaman said, if you are going to post something that falls into this gray area, post a link to the external in your author notes from the very start.

Sure Sir, I will.
Thank you...!!

anfa

Post Tue May 01, 2012 4:18 pm   Reply with quote         

raj_japsi wrote:
Ok, I have noted all objections and advices. I will take good care accordingly in future.. !! Thanks !!

Good man/woman! Very Happy thumright

TJ

Post Tue May 01, 2012 4:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I've been chatting with Raj for the last month or so. I feel it was a honest mistake without any doubt in my mind.
Doesn't make it right, but I can guarantee a lesson or reminder has been learned by Raj and many others.

It's not the first time this issue has been a topic here and won't be the last time either.
The only way we get better, is from learning from our mistakes.

@ Raj, YOU'RE a damn good man and artist. You didn't know and now you do.... put it aside and move on.

thumright

TheShaman

Post Tue May 01, 2012 5:10 pm   Reply with quote         

TJ wrote:
reminder

The only way we get better, is from learning from our mistakes.

Your a damn good man and artist.

YOU'RE

as in you are Laughing Wink

and raj, it's all good my man.

Post Tue May 01, 2012 5:23 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm just glad he didn't bullshit his way out of it like Marco used to do. Laughing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Gifs As Externals - Reply to topic