Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Question...regarding Chopping Application Usage here - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tad

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:15 pm   Reply with quote         

I know that this is PSC... and I also know that other programs are ok to use as well...

But all of the ones that people say they used other programs also used PS in their chop. Is it legal, here, to use other programs and not PS? As long as they fit into the image restrictions...

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Image editors like Gimp, or other high production editors like PS Elements, Coral and the likes are fine, hell even MS Paint Laughing

But if your referring to 3d programs, then this is a grey area.

Although PS now has 3d capabilities, for me personally, I like PS to the crafted, worked at and manual styled, 3d algorithms and the likes teaches very little when clicking a few buttons and sliders to get perfect shadows angles etc.

Depends what you actually are referring too.

Tad

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:02 pm   Reply with quote         

I like to use after effects. 90% of the time PS is still involved.... but most of the work would be done on AE... a sister prog of PS.

marcoballistic

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:09 pm   Reply with quote         

well this boarders on 3d creation, but if it is what your comfotable with, then who am I to say Laughing

After Effects is a good product, I just like to keep it to Photoshop when doing creations for here, as it is the site ideals.

Wiz

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:56 pm   Reply with quote         

"Marco's being very generous, take a look at the Website's Masthead and read what it says."

Can you read the first line?

Just kidding! Twisted Evil

If you want votes, it's best stick to 'Photoshop' Software, or it's look-a-like programs.

That's my 2c's worth

Wiz Smile

Sanctuary

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:51 pm   Reply with quote         

i use paint.

soulrock

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:01 am   Reply with quote         

Sanctuary wrote:
i use paint.

Same here sanc!

Sanctuary

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:16 am   Reply with quote         

soulrock wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
i use paint.

Same here sanc!

yeah that's why we often make all source chop Laughing

arcaico

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 am   Reply with quote         

don't listen to marco... you can use 3d softwares as long as you know how to use it... meaning: use 3D and make it so it doesn't look like 3D. That's a lesson I learnt with one of the mods in here. That is 100s of times a better chopper than marco is... (heck, who isn't?) Laughing

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Wiz

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:03 am   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
don't listen to marco... you can use 3d softwares as long as you know how to use it... meaning: use 3D and make it so it doesn't look like 3D. That's a lesson I learnt with one of the mods in here. That is 100s of times a better chopper than marco is... (heck, who isn't?) Laughing

"Jeez Arc', how on earth could you have learnt anything after that Frontal lobotomy you had, which BTW we all reluctantly paid for!!!!!

So... Now we'll have to get your back half done as well, incurring yet more incredible expenses. But it's the only way you see, without upsetting the RSPCA and Friends of the Earth.

BTW: We'll promise we'll leave you with that shiny wet nose, and the wagging tail, but the BALLS will definately have to come off pronto! Laughing

Wiz

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 am   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:

I agree with arc on this one.....I'd try not to do a chop that is 3d exclusive, but a little use is ok in my opinion. Here is a good example of a well done chop by the202 where 3d software was used.
Source:

Chop:

marcoballistic

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:37 am   Reply with quote         

yeah my point was that it can be done without 3d programs, and it is the way I prefer to operate. The example you link there Wes can easily be done in PS with no 3d used.

I am more in the meaning of setting up everything perfectly in a 3d way, not using externals and manipulating them etc, that is fine.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:30 am   Reply with quote         

You know the funny thing here? I started with Macromedia Fireworks (now Adobe Fireworks of course). Then I outgrew that and went to GIMP because I couldn't afford Photoshop. At first I struggled with the PS interface. Nothing was where I expected it to be. I couldn't find anything, didn't know how to get the crop to actually crop, etc., etc. etc.

Now that I have CS3 I can't imagine going back to GIMP or Fireworks. Laughing

arcaico

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 pm   Reply with quote         

3D was never a no no in here... as a matter of fact, the wacom tablet I use for all my chops was earned with this entry, in which i did use 3D...

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/106865/murder.html

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:19 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
You know the funny thing here? I started with Macromedia Fireworks (now Adobe Fireworks of course). Then I outgrew that and went to GIMP because I couldn't afford Photoshop. At first I struggled with the PS interface. Nothing was where I expected it to be. I couldn't find anything, didn't know how to get the crop to actually crop, etc., etc. etc.

Now that I have CS3 I can't imagine going back to GIMP or Fireworks. Laughing

I'm in the same boat you were when you switched from GIMP to PS. I recently got PS7 but have been using Paint.net (PaintDotNet) for years. I can't find my arse from a hole in the ground with PS right now so I keep defaulting back to PDN. I open my chops in PS and in just a few minutes I am so dang frustrated that I can't do or find what I need that I just close PS and open PDN. I Need a personal, hands-on tutor. (any volunteers? hehe)
And what sucks for me, GIMP is just as bad as PS, can't seem to get around in it either.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Question...regarding Chopping Application Usage here - Reply to topic