Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - A Request... - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:05 am   Reply with quote         

Wiz wrote:
TutorMe wrote:
The restrictions in place currently are already pretty invasive. They cause new members who need help trouble if they need to post images. Forcing members to be approved before they are allowed in isn't a good solution for a community like this.

I'd estimate that 95% of spam has now been stopped, and 99% of spam that gets through is non-sensical and harmless.

Taking the time to code something that requires constant maintenance just doesn't seem worth it. And please don't think I'm responding angrily at all. The idea isn't bad, I just don't think it's the best for this particular situation.

I just think it would be much simpler for people to simply ignore spam threads.

If 99% of Spam that does get through is non-sensical and 'Harmless'... Why all the fuss Question
Fix the the problem not the members responses.

That's my 2c's worth

Because people like you bump the threads that aren't harmless with other images that could be considered inappropriate even after a long-time, well-respected member asks you not to.

I've spent plenty of time coding solutions to reduce the spam problem, so don't tell me what to do. You can't remove 100% of spam but you can keep what gets through from staying on the front page for long if you have the courtesy to listen to a simple request. Mods have real lives too. We can't be at the computer 24/7. Sorry. Rolling Eyes

bigbuck

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:25 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Make me a spam monkey Im here when most of you Modguys n Gals are not...

Me too!

YerPalAl

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 am   Reply with quote         

Listen to TutorMe.

I am guilty about bumping that thread, and I also thought the solution should be a coding one to restrict new members from posting for a while, but TutorMe's objection, that a newby in trouble would get screwed by not being able to ask for help is valid. So I wade in on the side of just ignoring spam like that and letting it drop off the front page as soon as possible.

My 2¢.

Of course I may still taunt some harmless, non offensive spam just for the hell of it, but I will let the nasty, offensive stuff go.

nat_g31

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:01 am   Reply with quote         

That was spam? I thought it was pretty creative and to the point. Laughing I'm tired of people beating around the bush. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

“I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklace.”~~~ Kanye West
glennhanna

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 pm   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:
Make me a spam monkey Im here when most of you Modguys n Gals are not...

Me too!

I nominate these two for Spam Monkey privileges, heck, Bigbuck already has had the avatar.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:58 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
... a newby in trouble would get screwed by not being able to ask for help...
I do understand the arguments of "let's not add any new code, because the effort involved seems unnecessary to resolve, what could be considered, a non-issue".

But I don't get the newbie-in-distress argument. If I understand this correctly - a 30 minutes cooling-off period will screw a newbie who might have come here to ask for a free advice on an issue the answer to which can be typically googled in 30 seconds. And this may well be the end of PSC as we know it.

Again - I understand the explanation offered by TutorMe and I'll stop asking for any new restrictions to be added to curb these spam threads.

YerPalAl

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:59 pm   Reply with quote         

I should have made my response clearer, sorry.

Therse were the suggestions I refering to about being unfair to newbies:

"Sanctuary
Post 19 Feb 2010 12:56 pm

or maybe they must do 10 chops before they can post a new topic,vote and reply pm.

SCWIDVICIOUS
Post 19 Feb 2010 12:53 pm

Vokaris has a great idea

Perhaps the 1st few post of a new member can be set to upon admin/mod approval, then manually approve the member if they are real. it would take the same amount of time to do as deleting threads.

that way they dont have to wait long if they are real.
if they aren't, we dont see it, and yall just ignore it or hit no."

Tesore

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Cool! Cool

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:16 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
YerPalAl wrote:
... a newby in trouble would get screwed by not being able to ask for help...
I do understand the arguments of "let's not add any new code, because the effort involved seems unnecessary to resolve, what could be considered, a non-issue".

But I don't get the newbie-in-distress argument. If I understand this correctly - a 30 minutes cooling-off period will screw a newbie who might have come here to ask for a free advice on an issue the answer to which can be typically googled in 30 seconds. And this may well be the end of PSC as we know it.

Again - I understand the explanation offered by TutorMe and I'll stop asking for any new restrictions to be added to curb these spam threads.

The only issue I have with the 30 minute cooling off period is that most spammers usually wait a couple hours because I believe most of what gets through is done by humans. We've coded it to the point where I don't think many (if any) bots can get through.

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:11 am   Reply with quote         

i was just giving possible scenarios as well.. trey made a good point in not taking it any farther, cause it can certainly run real people off. agreed and understood..

Personally, I dont remember ever bumping the bad stuff, but will taunt the harmless stuff sometimes.

It would be nice if more of the real people that are part of PSC would participate more in the forums too.

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:16 am   Reply with quote         

Mir

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am   Reply with quote         

Sanctuary wrote:

loving this Very Happy
buckie74

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Could you give me a spam example?

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:32 pm   Reply with quote         

buckie74 wrote:
Could you give me a spam example?

Dot

Location: Tacoma, WA since march 2010, born and raised in Belgium

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:12 am   Reply with quote         

*coughdogfoodcough*

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - A Request... - Reply to topic