Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Requests ONLY - Color/Saturation/Etc. Matching - Reply to topic

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Looking at the externals for Granulated's H2H Frankenchop sparked my brain to bring up this topic. One of the many chopping problems I have is matching the color, saturation, brightness, etc. between different sources. Especially when there's more than two! Laughing

So.... any of you smarter people wanna write a mini-tut on your technique for matching photos? I go by eye and often it's wrong. Confused

I'll post an exaggerated example of what I'm talking about ASAP.

Granulated

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I go by eye but finish off with some kind of tint process (and grain usually) after flattening the layers.

sonic3

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm   Reply with quote         

I go by eye also, but i have 22 years of experience in the photo printing and processing industry, so i guess it comes naturally to me with out having to think about it too much.
I've never really thought about how i actually decide on how to blend images together i just do it.

Setting up a digital printer is a little different from adjusting images in photoshop, you have alot more control over the colours in photoshop.

One thing i can say is you need to decide on what colour you are matching to, this can be done by using the colour picker tool, clicking it on the image you want to match it to and taking notice of what colour the bottom left colour box changes to, this should give you a starting point
I then tend to use the Hue and Satuation adjustment to change the most prominate colour in the image you want to change, and try and match it to the source image.
Try to keep both images in view at the same time, this will make it easier to refer to when matching, also if your unsure what the prominant colour is in a photo just drag the satuation slider up, this will show you what it is.
If adjusting the hue does not give the colour you want then you will have to use the basic colour adjustment to match what you want.
Density and contrast is really just a matter of playing with the sliders and keep checking on both images until you get the match you want.
You do sometimes find that after adjusting the density that the colour may need slight adjustment.

To some extent its a matter of playing with the colour/hue/density and contrast adjustments and getting used to how they work and how they change the image.

Hope this helps a little

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Requests ONLY - Color/Saturation/Etc. Matching - Reply to topic