Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Externals - Reply to topic

Lynnette0807

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Okay, I am a very optimistic about everything but recently another member, not mentioning any names itsChowdah..hahaha, reminded me of listing all my externals when I use them in my composites. So my question is, "Is this a one way highway and/or Shouldn't we all be doing the same thing? Hug

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Sometimes you want to show the externals, sometimes it is not necessary.
I think when you make a work with a lot of externals its usefull for others how you matched them.

Some make a work where the external is so good and they use a little bit of the source, that it is confusing, what the person did him/her self.

BigGame3113

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Lynnette0807 wrote:
Okay, I am a very optimistic about everything but recently another member, not mentioning any names itsChowdah..hahaha, reminded me of listing all my externals when I use them in my composites. So my question is, "Is this a one way highway and/or Shouldn't we all be doing the same thing? Hug

I think in your case, he was referring to the fact that, in the description, you said only the source and ps tools were used. There were, in fact, other externals used (the photos you owned).

Listing the externals isn't just about copyright law; it's also about accurately portraying your work. Sometimes the externals are obvious, and you don't need to post links to them. Other times, It's hard to discern what is source and what is external.

Hope this makes sense. Smile Somebody else can expound or correct me if I'm wrong.

Lynnette0807

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:34 pm   Reply with quote         

BigGame, candron, I do know why behind the reason, especially because I did type source & pc tools. I didn't understand if I own my own pictures but now I do. The question is why am I the only one that is leaving external addresses in my images, if you look at the last 4 - 5 contests, unless I missed a few, I am the only with following this rule Smile Razz cheers

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Lynnette0807 wrote:
BigGame, candron, I do know why behind the reason, especially because I did type source & pc tools. I didn't understand if I own my own pictures but now I do. The question is why am I the only one that is leaving external addresses in my images, if you look at the last 4 - 5 contests, unless I missed a few, I am the only with following this rule Smile Razz cheers

It's not a rule. It's a guide. We have had many entries over the years in which the choppers cleverly used external sources that suggested the choppers created something wonderful, when, in fact, they merely appropriated someone else's work. It is a good idea to report what you have imported to your chop if the imported material is central or dominant. If your chop is mostly a demonstration of your skill, citing externals is not so important. If you are the source of the imported material (your photos, e.g.), it is probably wise to say, "Source, PS., and my photo library." If you mention source and PS, but not your photos, voters will wonder why you didn't cite the obviously imported images.

I'll discuss Fair Use in a later chapter. Smile

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:59 am   Reply with quote         

Lynnette0807 wrote:

I dont know either, I have also been told to link stuff. But no one does it. And if you are 100% sure you are copy right free, does it really matter. As you are your own copy right then.

Anyways, fyi... for those who are asking, its not hard, I use pixabay, brusheezy, and my own photos, and lots of paint brush tool and etc on the tools of ps. And very seldom freepik. Doesnt everyone?

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:06 am   Reply with quote         

mydestiny wrote:
Lynnette0807 wrote:

I dont know either, I have also been told to link stuff. But no one does it. And if you are 100% sure you are copy right free, does it really matter. As you are your own copy right then.

Anyways, fyi... for those who are asking, its not hard, I use pixabay, brusheezy, and my own photos, and lots of paint brush tool and etc on the tools of ps. And very seldom freepik. Doesnt everyone?
Correct its not a rule to show externals, but make sure they are copy free or use photos from your self.
Of course if you use a lot of externals and want to show what you did with it, its usefull. Tomorrow i show them

Lynnette0807

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:01 am   Reply with quote         

mydestiny wrote:
Lynnette0807 wrote:

I use the same sites pixabay, unsplash etc, in this case I will watch how I word things too. I truly believe that was my mistake to begin with Very Happy

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Lynnette0807 wrote:

You are talking about your «movie projector» image Lynette, in the last anonymous contest.
Under your image you write source & Ps tools. Thats wrong. Thats the whole point. When you write source it looks like you have made everything in the source image yourself. You did not make the effect in Ps. Thats the whole point. You cant write source when you have used externals. Even your own image you have used is external. I hope you understand.Wink

SH

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:50 pm   Reply with quote         

...or did I misunderstand this topic? 😳🙄🤪

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Sometimes you show externals and sometimes not.
It all depends like the other members write in this topic.🤘🏼

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:20 pm   Reply with quote         

ShootHerman wrote:
...or did I misunderstand this topic? 😳🙄🤪

Hey there SH,
No you're right, it was that projector one and yes I do understand now after posting the question.If I put source and ps tools, with my own images, I should still mention that because it's not all source. I thought I only had to list externals if I didn't own their right. So check I get that part now.

The part I was still confused about is that in the last 4 or 5 contests, I noticed externals like backgrounds, clipped pieces or other things within different composites without a link in the note field. If you look at them, I am pretty sure I was the only one adding the links. I thought it was a rule, but it's more of a guide, and Tawiskaro explained it for me. It's more of a guide, not a rule to list all externals, it just a member choice I guess! That is why I love this site so much, because I get so much help, all I have to do is type a question or statement in the forum and I am grateful for it Very Happy

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Externals - Reply to topic