Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Google Image View Function - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Luxwiz

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:49 am   Reply with quote         

As you may have noticed Google Images removed the view image function due to an agreement with Getty Images.If you like you can use the Startpage earch engine as an alternative.

http://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/15/missing-google-images-view-image-button-use-startpage-image-search-instead/

http://www.startpage.com/

BigGame3113

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:44 am   Reply with quote         

Startpage.com is a cool way to find images, but depending on what you are using the pictures for, I wouldn't recommend downloading from there, due to copyright restrictions... Once you search an image using startpage, theres' no way to tell (that I can see) if the images are copyrighted or not.

Not sure if I would recommend using this feature for the contests on here, for example. Always best practice to use non-copyrighted material.

With Google, you can still filter results based on copyright, and there's plenty of free stock image websites that provide good photos to work with.

I do feel the limitations, though, of sticking to using only non-copyrighted material. It's frustrating at times.

TJ

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:24 am   Reply with quote         

BigGame3113 wrote:
Startpage.com is a cool way to find images, but depending on what you are using the pictures for, I wouldn't recommend downloading from there, due to copyright restrictions... Once you search an image using startpage, theres' no way to tell (that I can see) if the images are copyrighted or not.

Not sure if I would recommend using this feature for the contests on here, for example. Always best practice to use non-copyrighted material.

With Google, you can still filter results based on copyright, and there's plenty of free stock image websites that provide good photos to work with.

I do feel the limitations, though, of sticking to using only non-copyrighted material. It's frustrating at times.

Totally agree. Half the time I get so frustrated that I'll look through my own photos or grab my camera and shoot something close to what I was looking for.
It's usually 10 times faster too.

Cheers and thanks for posting Luxwiz and BG3113!

salut

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 am   Reply with quote         

I know about the copyright limitations and the use of free stock image websites BG this is basically just to inform people that use google image search and didn't know that they had gotten rid of the view image function is all...

Tawiskaro

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Luxwiz wrote:
As you may have noticed Google Images removed the view image function due to an agreement with Getty Images.If you like you can use the Startpage earch engine as an alternative.

http://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/15/missing-google-images-view-image-button-use-startpage-image-search-instead/

http://www.startpage.com/

I wondered why they did that. Thanks, Luis.

Tawiskaro

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

BigGame3113 wrote:

You get enough information to rule out many images as public domain. For example:

Susan Rice: Obama's Right-Hand Woman
854 × 570
newsweek.com
Visit Page
Visit Page Anonymously
View Image (always anonymously)

NewsWeek is likely to display only copyrighted images. A visit to the site would display a photo credit that might clarify. I don't see this as much different than the way Google worked. What's strange is that StartPage is labeled, "enhanced by Google".

BigGame3113

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Luxwiz wrote:
I know about the copyright limitations and to use of free stock image websites BG this is basically just to inform people that use google image search and didn't know that they had gotten rid of the view image function is all...

I see Smile

BigGame3113

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
BigGame3113 wrote:

You get enough information to rule out many images as public domain. For example:

Susan Rice: Obama's Right-Hand Woman
854 × 570
newsweek.com
Visit Page
Visit Page Anonymously
View Image (always anonymously)

NewsWeek is likely to display only copyrighted images. A visit to the site would display a photo credit that might clarify. I don't see this as much different than the way Google worked. What's strange is that StartPage is labeled, "enhanced by Google".

Google is different in that, if you search images, you can use the tool bar to filter images based on copyright. You can't do this with startpage.

Tawiskaro

Post Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Seth, that filter was sometimes inaccurate--if you're referring to the tool that let you select usage rights--it least that was my experience. It sometimes returned images that were not Public Domain, or it would return images that required a license reference. Not reliable. I guess it doesn't matter now, if it's gone. We shall forge ahead without it.

BigGame3113

Post Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
Seth, that filter was sometimes inaccurate--if you're referring to the tool that let you select usage rights--it least that was my experience. It sometimes returned images that were not Public Domain, or it would return images that required a license reference. Not reliable. I guess it doesn't matter now, if it's gone. We shall forge ahead without it.

Yeah wouldn't surprise me. Razz I don't like to pull photos from any general search engine if I can help it.

Luxwiz

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:20 pm   Reply with quote         

old article but...35 Million free Getty Images

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26463886

ShootHerman

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:44 pm   Reply with quote         

I think Its really sad that the Google image button is gone. It has been soooo easy to find images until now.
I do often use externals, from google.

Thx for the other links guys, but this we-remove-the-image-link thing makes it harder to find the right external for me.
I even often used the function in my work when I easily had to find images. I dont like this... Boring.

Anyway, I will give it a try, the other links you have posted. Thx.

Maybe we can make a post on this forum, only with links were we can find free/high res images?
Were we all can post links.

SH

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:59 pm   Reply with quote         

If you use Google Chrome, there are a few extensions to restore the "View Image" button function
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/view%20image?hl=en-US

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 am   Reply with quote         

I still have the Google image button, but the format has changed

Luxwiz

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:40 am   Reply with quote         

Paladin wrote:
I still have the Google image button, but the format has changed

Image search is still there,just the view image button is gone,there is a work around to view and save image though

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Google Image View Function - Reply to topic