Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - From the Skies - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Luxwiz

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:40 pm   Reply with quote         

BSmatic wrote:
Cool what kind of pickups you have on her?

It´s a 1972 Les Paul custom with the original humbuckers,well original everything except the frets which I´ve replaced three times since I bought her in 1976 though.Sounds better and better with age Smile

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:57 pm   Reply with quote         

So standard but 72 standard = vintage
Frets doesn't count - it's like changing the tires

Luxwiz

Post Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:41 am   Reply with quote         

BSmatic wrote:
So standard but 72 standard = vintage
Frets doesn't count - it's like changing the tires

hey where the pics of your guitar go,looked good,nice combination blonde neck and black body ... Although a good luthier is important in changing the frets,a lousy fret job can totally screw up a good guitar.Also imo the important things about the guitar are good pickups,good machine heads that keep it in tune and a good neck with great action for smooth playing,the rest is basicaly secondary.

good article here on Gilmore´s Black Strat...

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=66

Post Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:24 pm   Reply with quote         

It started to look like facebook post - i figured who cares about my shitty guitars...
As Carl Thompson (luthier) said : what is important about the guitar? EVERYTHING is important!
This was the first time i grew the balls to refret guitar myself. I played on one custom (mexican) strat from local (professional) musician which was newly refretted by a famous local luthier and found a "dead note" up the fretboard, and guy was like "who cares" so i started to question the whole thing...i bought one guitar neck just for practice and after quite some time moved to my guitar.it was like performing a heart surgery on family member Smile but i was so proud when it turned out all right. Refret, leveling, dressing, crowning, truss rod adjustment and polishing + "floating" bridge that stays in tune = very low action and no buzz. I leveled the Schecter afterwards as it was in "Indonesian factory setup" state = non existent... Of course i would never try something like that on valuable guitar such as yours.
Thanks for the article - My God, such a torment over the years on that piece of wood!

Luxwiz

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:48 pm   Reply with quote         

BSmatic wrote:
It started to look like facebook post - i figured who cares about my shitty guitars...
As Carl Thompson (luthier) said : what is important about the guitar? EVERYTHING is important!
This was the first time i grew the balls to refret guitar myself. I played on one custom (mexican) strat from local (professional) musician which was newly refretted by a famous local luthier and found a "dead note" up the fretboard, and guy was like "who cares" so i started to question the whole thing...i bought one guitar neck just for practice and after quite some time moved to my guitar.it was like performing a heart surgery on family member Smile but i was so proud when it turned out all right. Refret, leveling, dressing, crowning, truss rod adjustment and polishing + "floating" bridge that stays in tune = very low action and no buzz. I leveled the Schecter afterwards as it was in "Indonesian factory setup" state = non existent... Of course i would never try something like that on valuable guitar such as yours.
Thanks for the article - My God, such a torment over the years on that piece of wood!

hats off to you man,I would never even start that type of work on any guitar,don´t have the patience or the pulse...heart surgery is a great analogy.Hell changing the strings is a big ordeal for me Laughing I have a Luthier in Granada that does any major work I need on it.Oh I also have a beautiful 1972 cherry red Gibson ES-335 with a trapeze tail piece.It works great as a vibrato pressing it with the bottom of the palm on your right hand

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Like "oh, by the way" Smile 72 ES-335? Surprised that is gorgeous piece. People like to call them "bunny ears" here...one hell of a expensive pair of bunny ears tho. A lot of them bought Epiphone 335 as cheap replacement for their dreams and even that is fantastic instrument... Your guitars are getting old like vine does man Cool

Luxwiz

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:35 pm   Reply with quote         

BSmatic wrote:
Like "oh, by the way" Smile 72 ES-335? Surprised that is gorgeous piece. People like to call them "bunny ears" here...one hell of a expensive pair of bunny ears tho. A lot of them bought Epiphone 335 as cheap replacement for their dreams and even that is fantastic instrument... Your guitars are getting old like vine does man Cool

You mean old like me Laughing I bought them both in Toronto in 1976 for $ 600 CAD each.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Catch them while they're young Wink There is a retirement fund for you - but something tells me you won't grow apart from them any time soon Cool

Luxwiz

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:23 pm   Reply with quote         

BSmatic wrote:
Catch them while they're young Wink There is a retirement fund for you - but something tells me you won't grow apart from them any time soon Cool

No way I will part with them,I have an 18 year old daughter who may sell them in 2070 though.Here´s a couple of pics from a gig I played with The Robbie Rox Band at the El Mocambo in Toronto in Jan. 28 1982.And get a load of this that gig was a year before Stevie Ray Vaughn played his inmemorable concert on the very stage a year later (July 11,1983)

Gotta love this...SRV playing Lenny at the Elmo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5sqJNFFwqc[/youtube]

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:28 pm   Reply with quote         

It was a simpler time...hair styles, stage banners..and shirts! Stevie could learn thing or two from your gig - he is sweating buckets.
BS aside thumleft wow! thumright
...and that's why people don't play strat anymore...after Jimi and Stevie there is not much more you can do with it basically...

Luxwiz

Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:06 am   Reply with quote         

BSmatic wrote:
It was a simpler time...hair styles, stage banners..and shirts! Stevie could learn thing or two from your gig - he is sweating buckets.
BS aside thumleft wow! thumright
...and that's why people don't play strat anymore...after Jimi and Stevie there is not much more you can do with it basically...

I love to hear other people play strats but I found Gibsons are more suited to my sound and style of playing.The Robbie Rox Band was a lot of fun,I played with them for 3 years.Rob the singer in the band was one of the first to shave his head after the hippie long hair era.It was quite the crew,the other guitar player had a Jimi afro,the bass player had long blonde Robert Plant hairstyle and ripped pants with handcuffs on his belt,the drummer was clean cut and came from a new wave rock band.It was all very theatrical,we played all Rob Theodore composed original rock oriented music with a noticeable Zappaish satirical influence in the lyrics.He was a very imposing character and you would never know what was going to go down at the shows.That show at the Elmo was recorded live and aired on a popular underground radio station show in Toronto at the time called The Beaver Show...Here´s a link to a couple of the tunes I uploaded to Soundcloud if you want to give them a listen...Dr. Collision,it´s about a scientologist...the lyrics are priceless. Kick This Habit is about an addictive relationship with a girlfriend...

http://soundcloud.com/luis-nu-ez-27/sets/robbie-rox-live-at-the-el

OneChiefRocker

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:15 am   Reply with quote         

Luxwiz wrote:
From the Skies is a song I composed many years ago and I just recorded for a local Open Mike Show tribute CD here in my home town of Almuñecar... I play the guitars and sing.The other musicians are Pablo Roman - bass,Jesus Mata - sax and Danny Montalvo on drums.Thought I´d share it here with my friends at PSC,hope you like it ... Smile

http://soundcloud.com/luis-nu-ez-27/from-the-skies-luis-nunez-nov-2015-224-kbps

Thanks for sharing...good little tune! Very JJ Cale-like very cool stuff Luis!

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:21 pm   Reply with quote         

OneChiefRocker wrote:
Luxwiz wrote:
From the Skies is a song I composed many years ago and I just recorded for a local Open Mike Show tribute CD here in my home town of Almuñecar... I play the guitars and sing.The other musicians are Pablo Roman - bass,Jesus Mata - sax and Danny Montalvo on drums.Thought I´d share it here with my friends at PSC,hope you like it ... Smile

http://soundcloud.com/luis-nu-ez-27/from-the-skies-luis-nunez-nov-2015-224-kbps

Thanks for sharing...good little tune! Very JJ Cale-like very cool stuff Luis!

thanks Jeff... nice to see you back here,hope life´s good Smile

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:39 pm   Reply with quote         

I do like it, thanks for the insight - appreciated Smile

Luxwiz

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:42 pm   Reply with quote         

For Vic... this is Les Paul and his wife Mary Ford playing Song in Blue 1955.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNENAklQHOY[/youtube]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - From the Skies - Reply to topic