Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC.com in the year 2014 - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ShootHerman

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Im a little bit worried about the activities here at PSC.com in year 2014.
Slowly the images has dissapeared in the contests. In the next 2 contests there are 0 entries, both days. In todays contest, 2 entries.
I know, the question has been asked before, but now something have to be done to save this place. What can we or the administrators do? Or am I overdramatazing the whole thing?! I really dont think so.

For you old members out there who were members since the start of PSC.com, has it been periods like this before through all these years? I think of the low entries in the contests. Is it a some kind of a change of generations that is happening now?

I know, lot of threads like this have been made before, but now I think its time to really solve this problem.
Any suggestions out there what to do?

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:10 pm   Reply with quote         

i think, 10 dollars every day as a pricemoney, and stop the one day 50 dollar price

Watch them Drift

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 am   Reply with quote         

Confused What's worse is its winter over here in the US...the usual high time for activity on this site. I hate to see what happens when the sun rolls around the globe. sunny

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:32 am   Reply with quote         

Holiday time for most....always slow this time of year....and the lack of things to do other than chop aint helpin... Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:09 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Holiday time for most....always slow this time of year....and the lack of things to do other than chop aint helpin... Very Happy

last year 22entries
http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/1001010/business-post-van.html?o=votes

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:35 pm   Reply with quote         

As far as keeping the site running, here's a bit of technical transparency for you.
As advantage members can see, the choices for source image voting quite often drops below 5 images.
There are actually 40+ images in the voting pool right now, but the problem is the implementation of how the images are selected by the automated voting tool.
A "voting count" is applied to each image every time it comes up for source voting, depending on how well it does in the voting. I don't remember the precise details, but essentially the worse it does, the higher the count that is applied to the image (i.e. 0 points for coming in 2nd, a point for 3rd, 2 for 4th, 3 for 5th, something like that). The voting tool is coded such that it places a heavy emphasis on randomly selecting images for daily voting that have little to no voting counts, for example for 3 of the 5 spots it looks for images with low voting counts, say below 4, hence why we often see the voting choices dwindle down to 2. It used to be that when an image reached a count of 6, it would be bumped to the rejects pool.
I made a request to be able to control the voting counts as an emergency measure to ensure we would have images to vote on everyday and to preferably have 5 images every day. Instead of implementing that request, they set the automated cutoff to send images to the rejects pool to 15 (up from 6). While this wasn't an ideal solution to me, it did allow me to restore previously rejected images from the rejects pool (the ones with counts of 6, though restoring rejected images does not reset their count from 6 to 0), ensuring that we will at least have images to vote on for a longer period of time, but the number of images that can be voted on will remain at 2 unless new images are submitted and approved. In other words, brand new sources will need to be submitted in order to increase the number of choices, unless I can get control over the voting count number for submitted images. Also, I am not alone, vokaris does help out with this process as well.

Unrelated to the wall of text above, I also made some general suggestions not all that long ago to the owners related to increasing site activity, but haven't heard anything back yet.
ShootHerman

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 pm   Reply with quote         

I know you administrators do a great job billtvshow. Thats why we can chop around here at PSC.com. Thx.Smile
But I was asking why there isnt more people chopping in each contest. That was my question.
I miss all the choppers.

Like corneel say: compare last year contest with this year contest...
Its not good at all.

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:46 pm   Reply with quote         

@Bill:
I have uploaded 17 photos, made in Cape Verde.
Come on guys, do a Photowalk!

Heinlein

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:06 pm   Reply with quote         

I am sorry, but for the first time since 2005 I have not renewed my Advantage subscription, because mostly of the lack of participation.

PSC is still one of the best Photoshop communities out on the web. Just wish more would be involved.

Happy New Year everyone!

Jim

ShootHerman

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:
I am sorry, but for the first time since 2005 I have not renewed my Advantage subscription, because mostly of the lack of participation.

PSC is still one of the best Photoshop communities out on the web. Just wish more would be involved.

Happy New Year everyone!

Jim

Why not do the opposite thing to help this site instead of giving it up?

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:48 pm   Reply with quote         

ShootHerman wrote:
Heinlein wrote:

Happy New Year everyone!

Jim

Why not do the opposite thing to help this site instead of giving it up?

thats why i say, everyday a price for the winner = 10dollars or credit points , and if you want to use them, buy a advantage or let it pay out

YerPalAl

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Just uploaded 10 new source photos Bill.

Tawiskaro

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 pm   Reply with quote         

I signed up for Advantage after a long absence. I just uploaded ten source images. I'll dig up some more.

This place is worth saving. Smile

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:01 am   Reply with quote         

Tawiskaro wrote:
I signed up for Advantage after a long absence. I just uploaded ten source images. I'll dig up some more.

This place is worth saving. Smile

I like your attitude! Very Happy

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:46 am   Reply with quote         

You are right!

I can't just give up. I have learned way too much from this site.

I just renewed!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC.com in the year 2014 - Reply to topic