Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Why keep this tutorial? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Should the tut be 86'd?

Yes

73%

73%

[ 14 ]

No

26%

26%

[ 5 ]

Total Votes: 19

Marx-Man

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
Marx-Man wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This thread makes me chuckle.

Love bullshit... eh? albino

Of course I do, I post so much of it. XD

Got to stay in character you know.

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
Claf wrote:
Marx-Man wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This thread makes me chuckle.

Love bullshit... eh? albino

Of course I do, I post so much of it. XD

Got to stay in character you know.

This is an honest answer. Thanks! salut

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:45 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
Why not have someone with actual skills simply re-do the tutorial and show how to recreate the offending photo? Twisted Evil
you mean step by step printing the image 5 times then the hanging of the prints then take a photo of it?

Laughing

blue_lurker

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:
Wow way to kick a guy when he is no longer around...I just hope if you guys make a mistake or have your methods questions or god forbid use an external that make your image just kick ass, that we forgive and forget and just learn from the mistake made...but I guess thats just me...

dude wtf Shocked

It was freakin ages ago...who gives a fuck...man if this is what PSC is becoming, (A bunch of whiny bitching people that care more for some stupid tutorial that was written so long ago most people did not even know about it) then I guess this place HAS really lost its heart.

jasper

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:01 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
supak0ma wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:
Wow way to kick a guy when he is no longer around...I just hope if you guys make a mistake or have your methods questions or god forbid use an external that make your image just kick ass, that we forgive and forget and just learn from the mistake made...but I guess thats just me...

dude wtf Shocked

It was freakin ages ago...who gives a fuck...man if this is what PSC is becoming, (A bunch of whiny bitching people that care more for some stupid tutorial that was written so long ago most people did not even know about it) then I guess this place HAS really lost its heart.

It's only cuz I still DO give a fuck about this place that I even posed the question of is it worth a damn to keep it. if you're looking for heart, you have to find a pulse first.

supak0ma

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:02 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
supak0ma wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

dude wtf Shocked

freakin ages ago? so what? bullshit smells the same or even worst after a period, that tutorial is a LIE. it's FAKE.

blue_lurker

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:13 am   Reply with quote         

I guess I just dont get it...if caring for the site is finding some old tute and dragging it out over the coals is caring then I guess Im just to over the bloody hill for PSC any more...
I guess if you wanna crucify PSC members past and present then gp for it...there a so many you can choose from guys, from simple cut and past to a few members that used externals to win H2H contests and reunions as well...
I guess I just remember when this was all dragged out before and it split a lot of members then as it has now...
Time for this old fart to stop caring and move on to some thing else....

So long and thanks for the fish........

supak0ma

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
I guess I just dont get it...if caring for the site is finding some old tute and dragging it out over the coals is caring then I guess Im just to over the bloody hill for PSC any more...
I guess if you wanna crucify PSC members past and present then gp for it...there a so many you can choose from guys, from simple cut and past to a few members that used externals to win H2H contests and reunions as well...
I guess I just remember when this was all dragged out before and it split a lot of members then as it has now...
Time for this old fart to stop caring and move on to some thing else....

So long and thanks for the fish........

jesus christ you're so melodramatic...why the hell should a fake tut stay online...aren't there enough of them around already? does it do good to the image of the website? are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?

jasper

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Blurk, I think you are missing the point. If the community wants to put itself out there as a legitimate place for people to come and learn photoshop, I think the tutorial needs to go. This is NOT personal, it's not trying to kick someone when they are not around. (FYI - the last post from this user was 5 years ago - so I don't really see them as a participating member)

If this is your buddy (or alias Shocked) - sorry, but following up a bad decision with an even worse decision just does not sit right with me, and makes this site look less legit.

Take a look at most web stats and analytics for photoshopcontest.com and you will find:

1. OF THE TOP 10 MOST VISITED PAGES BY UNIQUE VISITORS, 6 OF THEM ARE TUTORIALS.
2. "PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL" HAS A 12% SHARE OF ALL KEYWORDS USED TO NAVIGATE TO PHOTOSHOPCONTEST.COM

Honestly, I am the least likely person to even bring the issue up. It has nothing to do with an attack on anyone. Right is right no matter how you slice it.

more about heart...
I remember a pscontest.com where we could freely whore & pimp images (in a vibrant chat thread). yeah - people would bust your chops, but it was a kind-hearted ribbing (which I gave and got on several occasions). I never worried about discussing anyone's chops in public. In fact, it was nice to be able to let folks in the chat thread know that there was a kick-ass late post from a n00b that needed some votes and some love. Here's WTF happened to that - little bitches started crying about it and it became some unwritten rule taken to the nth degree. We did have a kind of rule on anon contests - basically just don't tell anyone who's post is who's (it was actually fun guessing and discussing in chat "I cannot confirm or deny that that is my post.", or "I guess we'll see when the contest is over!") - that morphed into what it is today, NO FUN.

Also, as the website gained popularity, and scores of quality entries, the votes you had increased from 10 to 25. This has created a sickening little trend that has been discussed at length, but basically boils down to some folks voting for ANYTHING and getting votes in return no matter the quality. Yes art is subjective (blah, blah, blah). Read Freakonomics and you will quickly understand how incentives on this website are working. Like the superior sumo wrestler who "inexplicably" loses a match once he's already won enough to be in the top class and losing a match won't affect him, but the inferior opponent needs one more win to secure a spot. (it's a win win) I know it's not apples to apples comparison, but BOTH parties that are voting for crap images have the proper incentives. Moreover, Sumo is closely tied to religion - It's supposed to be PURE. Purification rituals like throwing salt clapping and stomping feet to ward of evil are performed and The referee (gyoji) resembles a Shinto priest. Yet there still are incentives present. Here, we're not even governed by ANYTHING, so it's even easier for users to act on the incentives. It's also fairly easy to make the correlation of cause and effect when you look at the voting data and the quality of the entries. I'm not sure anything else could explain it. But if anyone has a better theory, I'm willing to hear it.

25 votes? Riiiiight. Maybe when there were a plethora of quality entries every day. Bring it back down to 10 - maybe FIVE! That will take some incentive away, and cause people to use their votes wisely. Most contests these days don't even have 25 entries. Let's be realistic about it - cuz it's a cancer in the website.

In closing - yes blurk, I give a shit. You can take your ball and go home, or you can stand in and help to better this place - your choice.

jasper

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:35 pm   Reply with quote         

double post. removed.

arcaico

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:12 pm   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
almost as entertaining as chicken's famous Source Only entry.

THAT is a classic!!!

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

arcaico

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:37 pm   Reply with quote         

jasper wrote:
more about heart...
I remember a pscontest.com where we could freely whore & pimp images (in a vibrant chat thread). yeah - people would bust your chops, but it was a kind-hearted ribbing (which I gave and got on several occasions). I never worried about discussing anyone's chops in public. In fact, it was nice to be able to let folks in the chat thread know that there was a kick-ass late post from a n00b that needed some votes and some love. Here's WTF happened to that - little bitches started crying about it and it became some unwritten rule taken to the nth degree. We did have a kind of rule on anon contests - basically just don't tell anyone who's post is who's (it was actually fun guessing and discussing in chat "I cannot confirm or deny that that is my post.", or "I guess we'll see when the contest is over!") - that morphed into what it is today, NO FUN.

Also, as the website gained popularity, and scores of quality entries, the votes you had increased from 10 to 25. This has created a sickening little trend that has been discussed at length, but basically boils down to some folks voting for ANYTHING and getting votes in return no matter the quality. Yes art is subjective (blah, blah, blah). Read Freakonomics and you will quickly understand how incentives on this website are working. Like the superior sumo wrestler who "inexplicably" loses a match once he's already won enough to be in the top class and losing a match won't affect him, but the inferior opponent needs one more win to secure a spot. (it's a win win) I know it's not apples to apples comparison, but BOTH parties that are voting for crap images have the proper incentives. Moreover, Sumo is closely tied to religion - It's supposed to be PURE. Purification rituals like throwing salt clapping and stomping feet to ward of evil are performed and The referee (gyoji) resembles a Shinto priest. Yet there still are incentives present. Here, we're not even governed by ANYTHING, so it's even easier for users to act on the incentives. It's also fairly easy to make the correlation of cause and effect when you look at the voting data and the quality of the entries. I'm not sure anything else could explain it. But if anyone has a better theory, I'm willing to hear it.

25 votes? Riiiiight. Maybe when there were a plethora of quality entries every day. Bring it back down to 10 - maybe FIVE! That will take some incentive away, and cause people to use their votes wisely. Most contests these days don't even have 25 entries. Let's be realistic about it - cuz it's a cancer in the website.

In closing - yes blurk, I give a shit. You can take your ball and go home, or you can stand in and help to better this place - your choice.

A lengthy but worthy explanation... I agree with jasper in everything he said... we did use to have lots of GREAT entries a day... back in the days me, supak, desh, billtv and lots of other good choppers used to post daily... it was fun cause all of those entries were worth a vote, and we did have to select them properly, cause 10 votes were not enough to vote for all the good entries... but today, like jasper said, some contests don´t reach 25 entries... and most contests have 1 or 2 entries worth a vote... reducing the ammount of votes you have to cast to 5 would help a lot... cause the vote throwers (hi Tesore) will be contained by force... and will have to actually vote for what is worth only...

you don´t see some people voting in a regular basis, but if you see an entry with a vote from Claf, for instance, you KNOW that entry was good in some level, cause Claf won´t vote for any piece of crap... in the other hand, some people has their names stamped in the votes section of pretty much every entry that is posted at psc...

I say, bring the anonimous format adopted for thursday for every contest and reduce the votes available for casting to 5. That would somehow bring fun and excitement back to psc, and maybe, I SAID MAYBE, we would have jeremy´s psc back...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

kinetic_be

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

If voting would be more specific, instead of randomly spread them around, we should get rid of vote+next-button WITHOUT giving a category.
Giving a category is the least you can do. How else would one ever make it into the galleries with so little participants in compare to before.

arcaico

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

jasper wrote:
I remember a pscontest.com where we could freely whore & pimp images (in a vibrant chat thread)

I´m trying, jasper... but it seems that "vibrant chat" is dead...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

anfa

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:08 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
jasper wrote:
more about heart...

A lengthy but worthy explanation... I agree with jasper in everything he said... we did use to have lots of GREAT entries a day... back in the days me, supak, desh, billtv and lots of other good choppers used to post daily... it was fun cause all of those entries were worth a vote, and we did have to select them properly, cause 10 votes were not enough to vote for all the good entries... but today, like jasper said, some contests don´t reach 25 entries... and most contests have 1 or 2 entries worth a vote... reducing the ammount of votes you have to cast to 5 would help a lot... cause the vote throwers (hi Tesore) will be contained by force... and will have to actually vote for what is worth only...

you don´t see some people voting in a regular basis, but if you see an entry with a vote from Claf, for instance, you KNOW that entry was good in some level, cause Claf won´t vote for any piece of crap... in the other hand, some people has their names stamped in the votes section of pretty much every entry that is posted at psc...

I say, bring the anonimous format adopted for thursday for every contest and reduce the votes available for casting to 5. That would somehow bring fun and excitement back to psc, and maybe, I SAID MAYBE, we would have jeremy´s psc back...

What he said!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Why keep this tutorial? - Reply to topic