Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Newb's initial thoughts on graphics tablets - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

blue_lurker

Post Wed May 09, 2007 9:24 am   Reply with quote         

yeah I just got a wacom, and the mouse is still ij the plastic wrap box...and Im having trouble learnin what it does but then I have not read the instructions yet...WHAT...Im a man we dont read no instructions...sheeeez Wink

aliased

Post Wed May 09, 2007 9:33 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Guess I wasn't clear on that. I was referring to using the pen on the tablet (not the mouse).
That's what I meant: The pen on the tablet.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed May 09, 2007 10:57 am   Reply with quote         

aliased wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
Guess I wasn't clear on that. I was referring to using the pen on the tablet (not the mouse).
That's what I meant: The pen on the tablet.

Hmmm...

I can literally select a portion of an image and drag it all the way to the other side without lifting the pen.

I wonder if that's just a difference in the models? Very Happy

janetdog

Post Wed May 09, 2007 12:59 pm   Reply with quote         

I bought a tablet years back. It totally got buried under coffee cups, then under a phonebook in a drawer. My ex had it last. She probably sold it for dope. I never miss it unless I'm chopping and need to shade a large irregular area or clean up a tree.
I am curious to find out what debian would think about it. Honestly, debian just barely runs ps7 with crossover. It's the only thing that ever crashes on my computer. Anyone out there with debian/wacom experience?

Post Wed May 09, 2007 9:23 pm   Reply with quote         

MindGraph wrote:
ScionShade wrote:
If anyone wants to start the worlds largest tablet mouse collection, I got two i can send ya.

ok....gotta know....why do you have 2 and why don't you use them? I also hear your side as to ppl using them for coasters. Is it the quality or do you just prefer staying with the old route? I've been on the line for getting one and although tofu is pretty excited about it as I would be does the thrill wear off or is it if you don't spend good money on one your not going to get good quality and then you went from a reasonable price tablet to an expensive coaster? cheers or scratch

Broke the pen on the first one and didnt wanna wait for it in the mail so bought a new pad.
I STRONGLY SUGGEST ...no matter what pad anyone buys, spend a few dollars extra for one that has shortcut keys on it and the zoom sliders.

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:57 am   Reply with quote         

I seen someone in here mention the act of getting used to hot keys versus clicking on palettes..

what I do is turn my keyboard almost sideways to the left, and istill use hotkeys, but i set the express keys to the "most used" things for me..

(ohh and i use the mouse when and the pen for most everything, just depends on what im feeling like at the moment) they both have their uses.. mouse a little better for most surfing, pen better for about everything else.. lol

here is a basic breakdown of how i situate when chopping..

Post Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 am   Reply with quote         

I wish I had a tablet...I just cant afford it and im not even sure how to use it.

You say that tracing things with the pen tool is slower with a tablet? Because I use the pen tool to chop and it is still the most time-consuming and tedious part of chopping. I assumed that tracing by hand would be faster than using a mouse.

I can definitely see the benefits of using a tablet when it comes to brushes and other tools. I dont use keyboard shortcuts for my tools (only for zoom, copying layers, drag tool, and options) so thats not really a con for me.

You could always get a wireles keyboard so you can still do the keyboard shortcuts from 6' away...although I have one and I dont really like having to change the batteries in them...

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:15 am   Reply with quote         

Pearcinator wrote:
I wish I had a tablet...I just cant afford it and im not even sure how to use it.

You say that tracing things with the pen tool is slower with a tablet? Because I use the pen tool to chop and it is still the most time-consuming and tedious part of chopping. I assumed that tracing by hand would be faster than using a mouse.

I can definitely see the benefits of using a tablet when it comes to brushes and other tools. I dont use keyboard shortcuts for my tools (only for zoom, copying layers, drag tool, and options) so thats not really a con for me.

You could always get a wireles keyboard so you can still do the keyboard shortcuts from 6' away...although I have one and I dont really like having to change the batteries in them...
Wow. Old thread.

Anyhoooo....

If memory serves I was talking about the pen tool. However after using the tablet for a while you get used to the thing so much that using the pen tool for cut-outs is quick and relatively painless. I used to be much faster at doing it with the mouse but now I can zip around an object with the tablet and pen. Cool

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:58 pm   Reply with quote         

same here..
I love the tablet, the pen etc even more now than I did when I first got it.... (and as usual i'm gonna be different)
I LOVE THE MOUSE that came with my tablet. In fact, if any of you have the intuos4, and wanna send that useless mouse to me, then PM me for my address.. lol

I use both the pen and the mouse.. one reason is since i have the large, if I am lazily surfing around, I dont want to be bothereed by reaching all the way over there..... ->

I have all my custom settings backed up for both windows and mac. Its great how helpful the tab can be with non graphic stuff as well.

How the hell did I live without the tablet?????
Expensive, but totally worth it for me.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Newb's initial thoughts on graphics tablets - Reply to topic