Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Finding images - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

WhimSea

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:36 pm   Reply with quote         

lozerkidzunited wrote:
Yeah, I just go to google images :]

it's not a catalog of free to use images!

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:35 am   Reply with quote         

WhimSea is right

WhimSea

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:38 am   Reply with quote         

don't steer people wrong...

you can search for ideas using google image search... you can search for images that are ok to use BY searching for royalty free image site, but to just use what you see on an image search - it's not the way to do it.

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:45 am   Reply with quote         

WhimSea is right

WhimSea

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:04 am   Reply with quote         

I would read up on your internet copyright laws, things have changed over the years.

they changed that deal that says images have to have a © on them to make them copyrighted... most times you have to search the website the image came from to see if they have copyrights for the images on their site, and they may have used images without permission.

A lot of image you can with online searches is actually owned by a copyright holder, and using it without the copyright holder's permission violates the laws.

Many copyright holders have rules to if and how their images can or can not be used. Maybe ok for using as a desktop, but not to be used on a commercial website, or has to be used as is, or can not be manipulated or cropped at all...

and to say you've never faced copyright infringement - lucky you, but with fines as high as they are, and even if YOU think your usage is legal, it's not up to you to say so, it would up to the copyright holder and a judge as to whether it was ok.

I certainly wouldn't want to take a chance, that is why I use the free to use, royalty free images from sites that all over the place. Public domain sites are fine too, but even they mention they don't have model releases and to be careful if you run across an image with a recognizable trademark or image as you'd have to get permission to use the image from that company.

Australia may have different copyright laws than the US, but using the internet puts us into international territory and this website is not governed by Australian laws.

WhimSea

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:26 am   Reply with quote         

as found on Google... http://images.google.com/help/faq_images.html

Where can I find Google's Image Search?
• You can access Google's Image Search by selecting the "images" tab. It can also be found at http://images.google.com.

Are there any copyright restrictions associated with the images?
• The images identified by the Google Image Search service may be protected by copyrights. Although you can locate and access the images through our service, we cannot grant you any rights to use them for any purpose other than viewing them on the web. Accordingly, if you would like to use any images you have found through our service, we advise you to contact the site owner to obtain the requisite permissions.

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:58 am   Reply with quote         

WhimSea is right

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 am   Reply with quote         

WhimSea is right

lancoma

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:35 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
dont forget my site, if you could possably find a use for any of this bunch,
http://www.hallcross.co.uk/NewAlbum2/18.19/index.htm

I put your site in my presentation (we needed to present some web pages we like for college) because tones of tutorials Laughing

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:41 am   Reply with quote         

from your own Australian Copyright Organization www.copyright.org.au site:

Protection is free and automatic in Australia.
There is no system of registration for copyright protection in Australia. Copyright protection does not depend upon registration, publication, a copyright notice, or any other procedure - the protection is free and automatic.
A photograph is protected by copyright automatically from the moment it is taken.
As a result of international treaties such as the Berne Convention, most foreign copyright owners are protected in Australia, and Australian copyright owners are protected in most other countries. For more info, see "Copyright protection in other countries" from the same site.

I know in the US, a work is automatically copyrighted the moment an original piece is created (barring copyright or trademark infringement in it's creation). No registration of copyright is required, nor do you have to place a © notice on the item. That original could be artist works, written materials, music and films.

they also say that you may have advantages to putting your own © on your work, but it is not required for protection in Australia and in most other countries... it just serves as a notice or warning to people and lets them know who the work belongs to.

Most sites have a usage rule link on their websites instead of putting copyright info on each piece of art on their site, but if people are simply bypassing even looking at the site where the photo is (i.e. using the "see full-size image" link and just saving to desktop), it doesn't make it OK or legal.

as far as who has the copyright to the photos you were speaking of, it depends what the photo subject was, who was involved with the creation of the photo, whether you were taking a photo as part of your job... unless you work for a newspaper or magazine, then other rules can apply.

the Australian Copyright Organization says that you need to get permission to use artwork, unless it's past duration of copyright time, like you can use the masters' paintings because they're way past copyright duration. But otherwise you need to get permission, even if you don't see a copyright notice, it is still copyrighted, it belongs to someone, even if you only want to use a part of their artwork, you need to get permission.

that is the same law in most countries... it's that Berne Convention and international treaties regarding internet and copyrights. After spending $1700 trying to protect your own work, why would you want to risk copying other's works?

I've been paying lawyer and others (more than twice that amount) because my neighbor violated all kinds of laws, some of which were on done my property without my permission or the city's permission or permits, and I had to remove and fix everything on my property even tho I had nothing to do with it... doesn't make me want to go over to someone else's property and do that same thing to them!

Anyways, I couldn't find anything on photo collections vs. the photos in the collection in Australia copyright information. What / where is that law. I'd like to read it.

WhimSea

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:04 am   Reply with quote         

1 : amazing, my link got erased
2:if that's you in that avatar lancoma I'm in love with you, come to Paris.

lancoma

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:18 am   Reply with quote         

ledirlo wrote:
1 : amazing, my link got erased
2:if that's you in that avatar lancoma I'm in love with you, come to Paris.

just don't do anything stupid while watching my picture Wink Laughing

if you thinking about splodge link that don't work, here it is http://www.hallcross.co.uk/NewAlbum2/ Laughing

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
WhimSea is right

I know I am... but what are you? Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Finding images - Reply to topic